Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: What quilt block patterns have you made?

  1. #1
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    194
    Hi,

    I thought this would be a cool thread to start to find out what quilt block patterns you have made and be sure to post some pictures on this thread for us to enjoy. Also write down the name of the block and let us know for what level beginner, intermediate etc.. This way we can all learn together.

    I am a beginner quilter and it is overwhelming!

    Karen

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    194
    I am still working on my Eleanor Burns lovers knot and was fast to do as I took a class and made the whole quilt top in a day.

    Also I have learned to make the hexagons with plastic templates all by hand and is so addictive. This is a nice project to carry with you to Dr. appts, etc.

    I made enough of them to cover a pincushion. I have posted pictures on this board for it along with the link to the main pincushion pattern.

    Karen

  3. #3
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,963
    I know what your mean about the hexagons being addictive. I'm working on a Grandmothers Flower Garden and I love it. So relaxing and easily transported so I can work on it anywhere. I'm further along than this pic but haven't taken any new pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    31,244
    Blog Entries
    194
    Hi,

    Awesome are you using the plastic or paper templates. What size are your hexagons!

    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I know what your mean about the hexagons being addictive. I'm working on a Grandmothers Flower Garden and I love it. So relaxing and easily transported so I can work on it anywhere. I'm further along than this pic but haven't taken any new pics.

  5. #5
    Super Member wesing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,242
    OK, I'll jump in. I don't want to put any pictures of unquilted quilts, but there are pics of our 2 completed quilts on my "Introduce Yourself" post.

    Here is our list:

    9 patch (5 times)
    Cheaper by the Dozen (twice - one is quilted)
    Alternating 4 patch (twice)
    D9P
    Yellow Brick Road
    Turning Twenty (quilted)
    Friendship Stars (twice)
    Rail Fence (twice)
    Potato Chip (5 times)

    I think we may get one of them quilted this weekend.

    Darren

  6. #6
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,872
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    OK, I'll jump in. I don't want to put any pictures of unquilted quilts, but there are pics of our 2 completed quilts on my "Introduce Yourself" post.

    Here is our list:

    9 patch (5 times)
    Cheaper by the Dozen (twice - one is quilted)
    Alternating 4 patch (twice)
    D9P
    Yellow Brick Road
    Turning Twenty (quilted)
    Friendship Stars (twice)
    Rail Fence (twice)
    Potato Chip (5 times)

    I think we may get one of them quilted this weekend.

    Darren
    I have never heard of potato chip...what is it?

  7. #7
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,963
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Hi,

    Awesome are you using the plastic or paper templates. What size are your hexagons!

    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I know what your mean about the hexagons being addictive. I'm working on a Grandmothers Flower Garden and I love it. So relaxing and easily transported so I can work on it anywhere. I'm further along than this pic but haven't taken any new pics.
    My hexagons are 3/4 inch and I am using paper templates. Where did you get plastic ones?

  8. #8
    Super Member wesing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,242
    Suzie -

    It's something that we've seen circulating in the shops around Knoxville; they call it Potato Chip because it's so easy noone can make just one.

    You use two complementary fabrics. For 24 blocks cut 12 squares from each fabric of 8.5", 24 strips from each fabric of 2.5" x 8.5", and 24 strips from each fabric of 2.5" x 12.5". Frame each square with strips from the opposite fabric to make a 12.5" block. Alternate the blocks in rows, then sew the rows together. You can border with one of the fabrics, or skip the border. This quilt can be chain-pieced and goes together really quickly.

    The key of this quilt is to use fabrics with enough contrast that the blocks don't look mushy, but complement one another. Of course, when you make one we want to see pictures.

    Darren

  9. #9
    Senior Member quiltswithdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay-Area...Union City
    Posts
    398
    I've made many-many-many block patterns for pillows...
    (more than listed below).

    Here are a few patterns I've enjoyed making into
    whole quilts or wallhangings:

    -Samplers (blocks of different patterns)
    -Irish Chain (watercolor)
    -Jacob's Ladder (variation)
    -Disappearing Nine Patch with Hearts Blocks
    -Broken Dishes
    -Double Wedding Ring
    -Indiana Puzzle
    -Stars (ea big square has 4stars and is On Point)
    -some from calendars---forget names
    -Wagon Tracks ..............(WIP)
    -Interlocking Rings .........(WIP)

    -landscapes--created by me
    -appliques----created by me

    + many many more I plan to make
    (ie Kaleidoscope, YellowBrickRoad)

    FUN FUN FUN!

  10. #10
    Baywatch quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Niles, MI
    Posts
    133
    Ocean Waves (as the background).
    Amish baskets.
    Double Pinwheels.

    Ocean Waves
    Name:  Attachment-66525.jpe
Views: 338
Size:  50.1 KB

    Amish baskets
    Name:  Attachment-66526.jpe
Views: 257
Size:  69.2 KB

    Double Pinwheels
    Name:  Attachment-66527.jpe
Views: 186
Size:  65.2 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.