Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a quilt? >

What is a quilt?

What is a quilt?

Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM

According to Webster....a padded bed coverlet(n); to fill,pad or line like a quilt(vb); to stitch or sew in layers with padding in between' to make quilts. I placed this here because I questioned once what made a quilt a quilt....and if Webster says it.....it must be so. :shock: :wink: :D
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 AM

Actually, and not to argue with Webster, I read that quilts were made as coverlets for summer with no padding. I think I read this in an autobiography of Rockefeller.

My one quilt client asked me to make quilts for Spring and Summer with no padding in them, just to make the bed pretty and not make it hotter than it already is here in Florida.

It has been 97 degrees all weekend, and will be the same today. Heat index of about 105, and probably 60% humidity. Gotta love our Southern weather!
I took my quilt off my bed until November, when we MAY or MAY NOT need it again!
:wink:
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 AM

Too true! With the variety of fabrics they have these days in use in the craft(?), industry(?)...the definition can certainly be expanded! Nowadays we are everything but limited in our definition of a quilt. It is a good start though. :lol:
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Boo

I always believed a quilt to be three layers, front, back and center. A few years back I went to the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum in Golden, CO for an exhibit of award winning quilts. Imagine my shock to see an award winning professional quilt made from organza and mesh! After that experience, I must admit my feelings are not changed, but realize that quilts as art objects are more broadly defined. After making quilts for over 25 years, I have never seen anyone arrested by the Quilt Police. Yes, there are folks who hold strong in their opinions and are not afraid to share them, but, let's be honest here, who really are the quilt police? Does anyone know who hired them? Do they carry badges?, hancuffs?, a seam ripper?
Quilts began out of the necessity to keep warm and have evolved. Victorian times brought us the crazypatch, a way to showcase fabrics and hand stitching. They didn't contain batting, yet were treasured and valued by all who made them. Remember that a blouse is still a blouse without pintucks and insertion lace. Whether a quilt is a quilt to keep us warm, cover our beds, decorate our walls or to be made out of organza and mesh as an art object, a quilt is what WE say it is.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM

To those of us old fashioned enough to believe what we learned as kids, a quilt is something you put on a bed and sleep under. Now-a-days it seems to be place mats and wall hangings. Perhaps there could/should be some designations like "quilted ......" to distinguish between a bed covering and a place mat. Oh well, everyone has a different idea. You can quilt whatever you want and you can call it whatever you want. It is just the rest of us who are confused! But that is OK, some of the "elder" members are heading toward confusion anyhow. Let the fun begin!!!
June
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Confusion aside.... I can't help but chuckle at what this pops up. I guess it is why I love quilting so much! All the same and yet each one a sparkling, individual jewel! So cool!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM

A quilt isn't just three layers put together to make a blanket. A quilt is a work of art, whether its something to put on your bed or something to hang on your living room wall. You choose your design, colors, fabrics and create something beautiful out of it...much like you would for a sculpture or a painting. There are no rules in quilting and there are also no rules in art. What wouldn't make a quilt a work of art?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
There are no rules in quilting and there are also no rules in art. What wouldn't make a quilt a work of art?
What nonsense. Of course there are rules for quilting. Just send me a SASE and a check for $119.95 and I will send them to you.

tim in san jose
Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!

Directions maybe but definitely no rules! Especially at $119.95! That's not cheap even at half the price!

My only gripe is when I was chastised for calling my grandchildren's little quilts 'blankies!' I see no reason a child's small quilt can not be a blankie! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :lol:
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!

Directions maybe but definitely no rules! Especially at $119.95! That's not cheap even at half the price!

My only gripe is when I was chastised for calling my grandchildren's little quilts 'blankies!' I see no reason a child's small quilt can not be a blankie! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :lol:
Hhhhmmmmpppph!

Just for that, the price has gone up to $239.95. So now it's not cheap at 1/4 the price. What a deal.

tim in san jose