Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter? >

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

i know some long-armers who actually set appointments. they don't even take your quilt until they are ready to quilt it.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM

I agree with Nan. I get on my longarmer's schedule, but I don't drop off the quilt until she's actually ready to quilt it. She books about two months out from January to September, longer for the holiday season. No reason my quilt has to sit at her house all that time. I also think there's less chance of being 'bumped by a squeekier wheel' this way.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM

I waited a really long time 4 or 5 months on the only quilts I have sent out to be done, I contacted the quilter and it still took a few more weeks. Thank goodness the work was beautiful and as a novice I made plenty of mistakes but she quilted it anyway. I pieced a quilt recently with asian fabrics that I didn't wan to mess up so I sent them to Missouri Star quilt Company, Jenny Doan herself called me yesterday to make sure we are on the same page with what I wanted (they don't do custom quilting). I'm not sure how long it's going to take or how expensive it will be but so far I couldn't ask for better service.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 PM

I do LAQ myself and I keep a list by the phone so I always know within a week to 10 days just when I can get your quilt in and done. Baring any break downs or family problems. But I stay in touch if it looks like I'll be longer then 10 days getting to your quilt when it comes up on the list. I also don't take a quilt until a week to 10 days before your up on the list, this way I don't have your quilt but a week or so after it is delivered.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Well, from your post I saw that you mentioned that she does nice work and is reasonable on her pricing since you both are guild members, but she is also inconsiderate of deadlines. You've already called her out three times on her lack of returning your quilts on time, so I think in this case, you have to decide which is more important to you, time or money. If saving money on her quilting is truly a priority, then you have to accept her tardiness. If it's just too irritating or stressful for you, then I'd find another LAQ who will be more professional.

Having said that, if it were me and I decided to stick with this woman for financial reasons, then I would make sure to get my quilts to her long before I actually needed them when possible. Still ask for the 1 month deadline, but only you will know that you don't really need it for two months.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 PM

I used to have a LAQ keep them for close to a year. I knew that so wasn't a big deal but I eventually switched when I found a new quilter that takes no more than a month which I think is reasonable.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:40 PM

I have had problems also, but not with anyone on this board. She told me her policy was first in, first out, and to allow 2 weeks. I gave her my quilt in Aug. and did not get it back until Dec. 15th. We had our family Christmas on the 17th and it was a gift for my daughter. I still had to put the binding on it. Come to find out she was doing quilting for her friends. She does beautiful work, but I will not give her another quilt that I want to gift.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM

I usually quote 4-6 weeks (or less if a small quilt); but year before last, I messed that up...ended up in the hospital three different times and on chemo...BUT...I called my customers and told them, giving them the option to move or wait. They all opted to wait so I was really blessed. Maybe if you tell her you need them in two weeks or less, she'll get them done. Unless she has a good reason I don't think I'd send her any more business unless you just don't have a deadline to get it back. (And even then, I wouldn't tell her that...). Good luck!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 PM

I would be unhappy with that service. If you decide to stay/return to her, be a squeaky wheel. If you agree on 4 weeks, call her a couple of times during week 3 and say you're just verifying that it will be ready by the agreed-upon date.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

May I understand your reluctance to go elsewhere, I did the same thing for years. Take your next quilt to her (preferably one that's not on a deadline) and really pin her down on delivery date and tell her it's a must that you have it back on time. I would then start calling her about a week and a half before it's due and ask if she's going to be on time. If she fails to meet the deadline I would make sure (in a roundabout way) she knows that the next quilt will go to someone else. The LAr I used for years took over two months to do a quilt; did it totally wrong and not what I had asked for, then took another three months to fix it. She knows I'm still making quilts and she hasn't gotten any of them to quilt.