Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What response are you really looking for? >

What response are you really looking for?

What response are you really looking for?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Default What response are you really looking for?

Another spin off - from this thread -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t269578-2.html

If you post something like - "my borders are really wavy" - "I can't get my points to match" - "I turned a block wrong - do you think anyone will notice?"

What response do you really want?

"It's fine - think of it as a design choice."
"No one is perfect . . . "
"No one will notice . . . "
etc.

The Original Poster is "Someone" - and noticed - - -

OR

Suggestions that would improve/correct the situation?

I think most people that ask the questions "know" that a do-over is probably the best choice, even if they are dreading the idea or unsewing and resewing.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:34 AM

I would always hope for an honest response, whatever the question. I think the worst case scenario is someone thinking, 'Gosh, that just looks awful', and posting, 'Great job!' or 'Don't worry about it; no one else will notice'. But I hope and believe we are more honest than that!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Some of us quilt in isolation and don't have quilting friends to talk with about things associated with quilting. As a result, this forum provides a place to find out if something is a problem or not, if others have had the problem and what is the best thing to do about it. Everything doesn't have to be taken out and done over. Sometimes it is the only solution and ideas about techniques and methods is helpful.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm looking for suggestions for a fix.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:28 AM

I agree with PaperPrincess....I would be looking for suggestions for a fix that perhaps I had not though of yet. I might couch my response to the effect 'you could leave it but you would always know it's there' kind comment prior to any suggestion I might have. Depends on how the OP poses the question.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

I don't think you need to rip and do-over all the time. But I do encourage quilters to ask questions so that they can LEARN what they did wrong and improve on their skills. This is why I think this site is so successful with attracting quilters to chat.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 PM

Speaking for myself, if I ask it's because I don't know if there may be a fix for my mistake. I definitely don't want people to not post their honest opinion & if that's that I need to rip everything out & start from scratch then fine, but I've found that's not always necessary. And just because re-sewing may result in a more perfect result, I sometimes would rather find an "okay" fix and not spend half my quilting time unsewing. I truly believe the best way to improve is to make more quilts, not practice my seam ripping skills.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:22 PM

I am my own worst critic. So by that thought process only good things can be said about my work here.

Seriously, I don't post my work for praise or critiques, but to share my work with everyone as they have done with me.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:35 PM

I think I am with Paper Princess and NJ Quilter. I would want honest opinions and any suggestion for a fix. There will always be someone with a different or better idea than me and I would want to have as many options as possible before deciding on my fix.

I am one of those people who don't have access to local quilting groups for support and encouragement. Sometimes I just have to vent and moan about a problem. This board is a great outlet and source and I appreciate every single one of its members.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I think some people are passive/ aggressive about it and want us to say it looks great, don't worry, other wise, they would have fixed it b4 showing it. they want us to say, oh, it's o.k., when it isn't. They want to say,"Oh, I'm so stupid" and we're to say, "No you're not".