Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the right way >

What is the right way

What is the right way

Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 AM

Default What is the right way

Help! I am sewing a quilt that has a hst's and a nine patch, every other one. It is a king size. My problem is the rows are starting with a hst and ending with a nine patch. This fits perfect on the bed. Or should I be adding another square to have the row end the same as what I started with in that row. If I add another square it will hang over the bed about 3 inches on each side. Is there a rule of thumb on this?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:42 AM

I don't think there are rules and it the quilt fits and you like it; (as they say) Just do it. Now, I personally like balance, If I start a row with a hst I would end that row with a hst. (and my last row would mirror the first row.) but that is just me. I am sure with borders and sashing it will look great.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 AM

There is no right way. If you like the way it looks, then it's right I usually prefer symmetrical, and might feel obliged to add a row - but that's just me (more likely I would have resized the blocks to make it fit with a symmetrical layout). I try to fight that need, because asymmetrical often looks awesome.

Keep in mind however - if it fits perfect now, it will likely shrink when you quilt it. And again with you wash it. My "fits perfect" quilt for my bed is now a couple inches short all around. The border that was supposed to start the drape now frames the bed instead. So you may wish you had added that row later, if you really want it to fit right on top.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:04 AM

I like 'balance' too and that is why I'm having a hard time of what to do. I didn't think about shrinkage in the next message, so I think I will add the row and be balanced. I like it when are four corners are the same. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
There is no right way. If you like the way it looks, then it's right I usually prefer symmetrical, and might feel obliged to add a row - but that's just me (more likely I would have resized the blocks to make it fit with a symmetrical layout). I try to fight that need, because asymmetrical often looks awesome.

Keep in mind however - if it fits perfect now, it will likely shrink when you quilt it. And again with you wash it. My "fits perfect" quilt for my bed is now a couple inches short all around. The border that was supposed to start the drape now frames the bed instead. So you may wish you had added that row later, if you really want it to fit right on top.
I like balance and it is bothering me that they are not ending in the same square. I did not think about shrinkage, this is perfect, I will put another row on and it should be pretty much the perfect size and I will feel much better about the balance! I now realize I should have thought about this before I had all 197+ blocks cut out! Thank you.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:17 AM

Is there a border on your quilt in addition? If so just keep in mind you'll have a little bit more overhang with the additional blocks AND a border. I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" per say - but usually when you make a quilt to fit a bed size you do want a little overhang...so I think you're fine! What matters more is that you make it so that it makes you happy - you have to sleep under it after all!
Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phannie1 View Post
I don't think there are rules and it the quilt fits and you like it; (as they say) Just do it. Now, I personally like balance, If I start a row with a hst I would end that row with a hst. (and my last row would mirror the first row.) but that is just me. I am sure with borders and sashing it will look great.
I agree with Phannie1
Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 AM

If you live 'up North' you can always add another blanket under the quilt.

Unfortunately that doesn't work down here ... especially in our summers.

ali
Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

One book said that the opposite corners should match/be symetrical for balance -

ABAB
BABA
ABAB
BABA

Or

ABABA
BABAB
ABABA
BABAB
ABABA

If all the blocks are the same, it really doesn't matter then.

That's one thing that kind of (okay, a lot) bothers me on some of the Quilts for Kids. I would feel so much more 'at ease' if they had one more row!