Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a round robing? >

What is a round robing?

What is a round robing?

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM

I just read the post about the "round robin" and I also so one listed in activities. What exactly is a round robin?
Peace and Blessings

thank you for answering my question
Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM

I think the best way to describe it is that you start with a center block & then keep adding additional fows all the way around in different patterns. One quilter can start the quilt & then pass it on to another to add the next row.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM

A round robin means a few others work on the quilt than the original quilter--she/he originates the center of the quilt. There are a few simple rules for the next rounds. Sometimes the fabric is passed on to keep it in the family. The one I did which I am about to put on the frame had 3 others work on it until it came back to me. I will post a pic of it after it is quilted.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 AM

Check out http://www.auscraftnet.com.au/projects/roundrobin.php

A round robin quilt is a medallion quilt that you work on with several other quilters. Each person in the group creates a center square or rectangle. Then it is passed on to the next person, who adds a "round". Then it is passed to the next person, then the next, until each person has added a round to it. It is then returned to the original person, who quilts and binds it. Usually, the group will lay out rules like (1) the maximum size of the center square, (2) the minimum / maximum width of each round, (3) whether you supply all the fabrics for the quilt or each person uses their own fabrirics for each round, (4) whether fabrics should be washed or unwashed if you are using your own fabrics, (4) colors you do and don't want used in the quilt, and (6) a time frame for passing the quilt to the next person.

A few years ago, one of the quilt guilds in the Houston area had a round robin show. There were at least 25 quilts with 5 rounds each.

I've never done a round robin, but I did do a row quilt with 7 other quilting friends. We each had a box in which we put all the fabrics we wanted used, but indicated in our instructions whether the others could use their own. We each picked a theme and we met once a month to pass the box onto the next person. We would have a showing of the row we had done that month, but the person who owned the quilt had to leave the room. That way, we got to enjoy everyone else's work that month. At the final meeting, the quilt was returned to the owner, who was completely surprised and had the fun of guessing which person had sewn which row.

Another thing we did was include a small notebook so that each person who worked on the quilt could do a little journaling when they sewed their row.

If you've never done a round robin, you might want to start out with a block exchange or a row quilt exchange first.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM

You make a center block under 24 X24 and then the others in the group each take a turn adding a different size border. After all 5 borders have been added to your center block you get it back!

there is also a row robin on this site. That is when you do the first row and people add a row to yours making a quilt in the same way. You can have more people work on the row robin at a time since the rows tend to be smaller.