Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is scrim in batting

What is scrim in batting

What is scrim in batting and can you use it for long arm quilting? Do you have to prewash or are there any other things we should know about it? I bought some Pellon made batting with scrim the other day. I had heard about scrim but can't remember what. Would appreciate help. Thank you.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Scrim is a polyester grid that helps anchor cotton fibers. If you buy batting that says it's 97% cotton, it's because they've added the grid to stabilize the cotton fibers. It helps keep the cotton fibers from separating when the quilt is washed.

When you use 100% cotton batting, you need the quilting stitches close together to keep the batting from separating. With scrim added to the cotton batting you can use wider spacing between your quilting stitches because the scrim will keep the fibers stable.
    Last edited by Christine-; 04-30-2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

Blog Entries
    A lot of cotton batts are needlepunched through scrim now. Makes the cotton much more stable, can quilt lines further apart, etc. Scrim can make handquilting more difficult, but is fine for machine quilting. In general, you want the scrim side touching the backing of the quilt so when you machine quilt, the needle is punching the batting in the same direction as in the factory. (That's if you can tell which side has the scrim. Warm and Natural describes how to tell which side theirs is, but I don't know about other manufacturers.)

Incidentally, not all batts that are needlepunched are needlepunched through scrim. Quilter's Dream cotton is needlepunched but does not have a scrim.

There is no reason to prewash a batting that has scrim.

Thanks for the info. I had forgotten what scrim was, thanks for the reminder.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Yes, thank you for the info. I had heard you don't want to by batting with scrim, don't know why. This new bat by Pelon
    Is a bit more lofty than warm and natural it seems.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    Yes, thank you for the info. I had heard you don't want to by batting with scrim, don't know why.
    More than likely that warning came from an old school hand quilter. There is no reason not to use a batting with Scrim when machine quilting, either on domestic or LA. Tons of people use W&N and it has scrim. Even many hand quilters use it. I find it too difficult to get nice small uniform stitches and it doesn't needle as nicely by hand so if someone told you that it was probably old cautions handed down that are no longer valid.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    More than likely that warning came from an old school hand quilter.
    Or a batting company that doesn't use scrim and wants your business...Hmmm?
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".