Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing machine do I buy? >

What sewing machine do I buy?

What sewing machine do I buy?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Help!! I have been quilting by hand for years, I'm still a beginner. I would like to learn to use a sewing machine to make some of my easiest projects go faster and actually get done. But the problem is I don;t even know where to start on buying a sewing machine. Brand, style, etc. I want to be sure to get a good one because I will have to save up some money and will be using it for a long time to get more than my moneys worth,lol. any suggestions would be great!
Thanx,
Star
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM

I love my 20+ year old Bernina!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:13 AM

I love my 5 year old Juki TL98E
Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanx for the input. I am going to start looking. when i buy a machine do they offer classes??
Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM

There are as many opinions on which sewing machine as there are which car to buy!!!! I love my Janome.....but that's because it's an improvement over my 30 yr old Kenmore!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about other makes, but Bernina give a free class if you buy one. I would suggest you investigate what makes are available near you, as buying the machine is only the first step. You will be forever grateful that you bought a machine from a service dealership near you. Ask around anyone in your area, then ask to test drive as many as you can, in your price range. Also ask if they have any used machines higher up the range, that might come within your price range.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:43 AM

If you can, buy from a dealer near you so that you can take advantage of their classes and service. The sky's the limit on options available. I love my old Bernina and have recently "inherited" a Pfaff 2144 from my dear MIL which does pretty much everything, including embroidery.

You'll have a lot of decisions to make so take your time. You might ask about when they have sales and about machines turned in on a trade-in. People tend to have allegiances to different brands so don't be surprised by those attitudes.

I really love the convenience of needle up/needle down, needle threader, and separate motor for loading the bobbin on my Pfaff. I would definitely want those if I was looking at buying a machine. I haven't had time to learn all the ins and outs or the embroidery stuff yet, but I can't wait.

Good luck on your purchase. You're going to have such fun!
Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 AM

It depends on where you buy your machine. If you get it from Walmart or on E-Bay or Joanns or something, no, they won't offer classes. My suggestion would be to go to a local quilt or sewing store that sells machines and try out several in your price range. Many shops will only sell one or 2 brands of machines. I have a Bernina and an older Pfaff. I never got lessons on my Pfaff cause I bought it in the town where my parents lived and I lived 300 miles away. I wish I could have had lessons. It was a fantastic machine, a real workhorse and I would have purchased another except I would have to travel 45 miles or so for classes and repairs on it. There is a Bernina dealer within 1.5 mile of my house. I bought my machine on e-bay, but then was able to take classes on it at my local store. Originally they were going to charge me for the classes but then didn't. I guess that's because I have bought furniture and sewing chairs and thousands of dollars in fabrics there. It is really nice to have someone close by to go to for questions or problems or extra sewing feet. They are really helpful with that. You will want to be able to take the classes, the minimum would be on how to fully use your machine and also extra classes on other features. Many of our quilters here love their Janome's as well. I looked at them and I have a Janome dealer within 12 miles but I liked the Bernina better.
Many times they will have gently used machines that you can get a good price on. Try several different types, find what works well for you. Make sure you get a 1/4" foot and also a walking foot would be a must. I love the Needle up/down feature on mine.
Hope you have fun finding the right sewing machine for you!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:02 PM

I looked up a few on-line and they are all about 25-30miles away!! we used to have a store right in town but they went out of business last year. I guess thats not so far, atleast for service but i think it would be hard for me to make it to classes and such with my schedule. but like i said im just starting to look! :D
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

25 - 30 miles away? That's a walk in the park. My nearest dealer is the ONLY one in the country, and he's on the other side - almost 200 miles! If I had wanted lessons, he doesn't do them, and I would have had to go to London. Now you know how much I really like my Bernina.