Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I charge to make a quilt? >

What should I charge to make a quilt?

What should I charge to make a quilt?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by romille View Post
Wow, the prices you guys are giving are much higher than I would have ever thought! People really pay this much for a quilt? I was thinking I might charge her $50-75 on top of the cost of materials, and was feeling a little guilt about it.
You know, I realize I agree with you, considering that your customer is your MIL, then that would be a good labor price to keep the harmony. But do say, "I would not be able to charge so little for everyone. This price is just for you."
Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
You know, I realize I agree with you, considering that your customer is your MIL, then that would be a good labor price to keep the harmony. But do say, "I would not be able to charge so little for everyone. This price is just for you."
I have done that ....make a quilt for next to nothing since I already had the backing, and they supplied the t shirts. But I specifically said, this is only because it is you.

Seemed to work for me.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:07 PM

No, I don't think most people get the amount of money they should for a quilt, and I don't think most people ask what they should for a quilt. I think non-quilters have no idea of what goes into a quilt, and they think if they can get a store-bought one at Wal-Mart for $50, a lowly homemade quilt shouldn't cost them more than $20.

It's up to you how you want to approach this. The trouble is, when we ask someone for $50 for making them a quilt, we're teaching them that's what a quilt is worth, that's what a quilter's time and skill are worth. I think, as an exercise for yourself, I'd make a realistic estimate of the time it will take you to make the quilt (including shopping for fabric, pre-washing, pressing, cutting, piecing, sandwiching the top, basting, quilting, preparing the binding and binding the quilt), and multiply those hours by a skilled laborer wage, say $20/hour minimum. Add to that the amount for materials. Now you have a realistic estimate of what that quilt is worth (that your MIL probably thinks won't exceed $20). Going from there, you can ask whatever you feel comfortable asking; but that should at least eliminate the feeling of guilt you have when asking far less than the quilt is worth.

It's up to us to educate people in what goes into a quilt, or they'll keep thinking a quilt is worth $20.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:43 PM

At my church, we charge 65 cents a yard of thread. That way the thread as well as the work is paid for. The quilts run pretty expensive anyway--also depends on the amount of quilting you put into it. You would need to add for the time it takes to assemble the blocks, etc. and the time for making the binding and sewing it on. Nothing is cheap these days. We measure off 36 one yard pieces of thread at a time by wrapping it around a yard stick. Just an idea for you to consider.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

Think about how much time it takes to make a quilt. Now divide that into the 50-75 dollars you were thinking. You will see that you are not even making close to minimum wage. Often times, people charge 2 to 3 times the cost of the materials. This case, however, is in that grey area concerning relatives. I would tell her that you normally would charge $300, but for this one quilt only, as a special favor, you are only going to charge her whatever.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Normally, I am the first person in line to insist on charging a liveable wage for quilting. It drives me nuts when people undercharge for their work, but ... this isn't some neighbor or distant cousin, it's your mom. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with her or how long she's been with the boyfriend, but assuming he isn't just some guy that dropped into her live within the last few months, I would probably charge my mom for 100% of the fabric, thread, rotary blades, needles, batting and such plus probably add on $60-75. I would not feel terrible about giving it to her just the cost of materials, but it sounds like she maybe wants to commission a quilt for him. Part of the amount I listed goes to cover electricity, water, wear-and-tear on durable supplies like cutting mat & sewing machine and the rest is a super modest charge for my time. I'd be very clear to tell her that it's clear that this man makes her very happy (assuming that's true) and that since I love her I want to give her the special one-time "Just for Mom discount".

If she absolutely insists on paying full price for my materials and time, I think $350-400 (including materials) is probably appropriate since you're not only quilting, but also cutting, piecing and binding the quilt. If you are doing anything more than the basics (for example, if you plan to do any applique, design work, embroidery, or custom quilting), I believe the price should reflect that. We all know that making a twin sized quilt from start to finish can easily exceed 35-40. Only allowing yourself $10/hour (what people in my area pay someone to clean their house or take orders at McDonald's) is already devaluing your skill as an artist. I pay $70 for a 60-min basic mani/pedi. I find it hard to swallow when people insist I am only 1/10th as skilled as a nail tech whose work lasts for 2 weeks max while my quilts should last for 20 years. The only struggle I'm having is that it's your mom that's asking. Otherwise, here's what I'd charge:
$20/hour for washing, pressing, cutting & piecing
$0.03 - $0.06/sq in for quilting (less for all over design, more for multiple designs) + $5/spool for thread
$3/linear ft for binding (making binding & attaching binding -- I also include label for this price)
PLUS cost of materials & pattern (from preferred designers only since most designers do not allow the use of their patterns to make quilts for sale)

Yes, that means either I or my vendor end up selling appliqued baby quilts for $700-900 a piece. They're still getting them on the cheap when you figure that at $600 (since materials cost at least $100), that means I have to do the entire quilt in only 60 hours to make $10/hour. Fortunately, I live in an area where people appreciate fine art & understand quality or I'm sure it would be worse. I'm hoping as I get better at hand applique & hopefully maybe get recognized for the quilt I'm planning to enter in QuiltWeek next Spring, Irish Sea, perhaps I can turn them out faster and maybe increase my prices.

Good luck finding an answer to this age-old but impossible question.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Have her buy materials, determine a price, put it in writing, and get half down, rest due on delivery. Many times I have seen too many people lose money due to not setting a price and getting in writing, and then people bail when they don't have the money leaving the person making the quilt out on all their time in vested and with a quilt they don't want or like.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:11 PM

I would not feel right charging my MIL. I would have her pick out and purchase all of the materials, then make it for free. If she insists on paying, let her pay what she wants. My MIL and I are close friends.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

It looks like some complicated piecing, so I'd charge $30 per square foot.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:18 PM

I have made quilts and bags for fellow quilters. They select the pattern and then purchase the fabric. I don't charge as such for friends but they pay for a class we go to . Different number of classes based on degree of work. This meant small bag friend paid £15.