Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I charge to make a quilt? >

What should I charge to make a quilt?

What should I charge to make a quilt?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Default What should I charge to make a quilt?

http://thesweetteagirls.danemcoweb.c...-die-hard-fan/

I have never made a quilt on commission, what would you suggest?

My mother in law wants me to make the above quilt in a twin size, to give as a Christmas gift to her boyfriend. Since it is for family, I don't really want to charge her... but she is insisting. (isn't it weird to use a term like BF for someone that is nearly 70?)
Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Take her shopping and let her purchase the fabric & thread. Then, you can determine if & how much you want for your time to make the quilt. That way, the only thing you can lose is your time.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by romille View Post
http://thesweetteagirls.danemcoweb.c...-die-hard-fan/

I have never made a quilt on commission, what would you suggest?

My mother in law wants me to make the above quilt in a twin size, to give as a Christmas gift to her boyfriend. Since it is for family, I don't really want to charge her... but she is insisting. (isn't it weird to use a term like BF for someone that is nearly 70?)
I would charge her for the fabric and batting etc. And then at least 6 cents a square inch for the quilting. If she doesn't want to spend that much give her the name or contact information for someone else.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

AT least have her buy the pattern, fabric, batting, and thread.

She sounds like a classy lady to insist on paying - but on the other hand, she may not have any idea how much it costs to actually make a quilt.

If I were you, I would start out by giving her an estimate of how much JUST the components of the quilt will cost - and see if she wants to continue. She might have sticker shock when she finds out!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I would charge her for the fabric and batting etc. And then at least 6 cents a square inch for the quilting. If she doesn't want to spend that much give her the name or contact information for someone else.
Yes, she is going to pay for all of the materials... and I warned her what it would cost.

Wouldn't 6 cent per square inch be like $350? 67 x 87 = 5829... X .06 = 349.74. That is a lot more than I would want to charge... is that really what people charge to make a quilt on top of the cost of materials?? I mean, I know long armers typically charge .02 per square inch, which would be $116.58 alone.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
Take her shopping and let her purchase the fabric & thread. Then, you can determine if & how much you want for your time to make the quilt. That way, the only thing you can lose is your time.

I agree, and don't forget the batting and the pattern. It's amazing how many people will back out, that were so gung ho before.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:49 AM

Yes, charge her. She is a willing customer. Because what would happen next is the boyfriend's daughter (theoretically speaking) will want one. And then the daughter's brother-in-law will want one. Making quilts per others' requests is not the same as making what appeals to you. Time and labor and money will be spent to do this for the MIL's boyfriend, which is time that you can't recoup. I would specify a price of $350 for the quilt shown in a lap size. Negotiable from there if the customer feels differently, in which case you and she can arrange some type of bartering arrangement.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
AT least have her buy the pattern, fabric, batting, and thread.

She sounds like a classy lady to insist on paying - but on the other hand, she may not have any idea how much it costs to actually make a quilt.

If I were you, I would start out by giving her an estimate of how much JUST the components of the quilt will cost - and see if she wants to continue. She might have sticker shock when she finds out!
Yes, I did. I started rattling off what it would cost... Batting around $20 (off the roll from the local APQS dealer), backing around 6 yards at $10-13 per yard, front probably around $100 alone. Her eyes got a little bit big, but she wasn't deterred. I purchased the pattern today and she is supposed to pay me for it.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Yes, charge her. She is a willing customer. Because what would happen next is the boyfriend's daughter (theoretically speaking) will want one. And then the daughter's brother-in-law will want one. Making quilts per others' requests is not the same as making what appeals to you. Time and labor and money will be spent to do this for the MIL's boyfriend, which is time that you can't recoup. I would specify a price of $350 for the quilt shown in a lap size. Negotiable from there if the customer feels differently, in which case you and she can arrange some type of bartering arrangement.

Wow, the prices you guys are giving are much higher than I would have ever thought! People really pay this much for a quilt? I was thinking I might charge her $50-75 on top of the cost of materials, and was feeling a little guilt about it.

I already know this is going to be different than what appeals to me. I started looking at patterns and the one I chose is the only one that remotely interested me. I prefer more intricate things. For this I had to choose a completely different mindset. And, I HATE ECU. Nothing to do with sports, but I grew up in Greenville. My house was positioned between dorms and their football stadium. I could happily go a lifetime without ever seeing purple and gold paired together again.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 PM

I would feel strange charging so much as well. But, i would get everything paid for before starting, just to be safe.