Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I quilt on this top? >

What should I quilt on this top?

What should I quilt on this top?

Old 09-05-2015, 08:01 AM

Default What should I quilt on this top?

I made this king size Lovers Knot quilt. I am looking for ideas on how to quilt this as well as thread color. I went to the local quilt store and they suggested variegated pink/blue. I don't want to draw away from the quilt design and wondered if the variegated would be too much. So I am wondering what you all may think. I appreciate the feedback. I have a domestic sewing machine that I will be using to quilt. This is the second quilt I have made so I do not have much knowledge when it comes to putting colors/designs together.

Thank you [ATTACH=CONFIG]529829[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_8789.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

no help here, but beautiful lovers knot.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:59 AM

I think that a variegated thread in soft colours would be fine. I doubt that you would take away from the design, it's too beautiful. You did an excellent job this being only your second quilt. Thank you for sharing and good luck in your quilting adventures.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Beautifully pieced. I'm impressed you can actually fit a King sized quilt into your DSM. I wouldn't be able to fit one into mine.

I would use 2 colors of thread & 2 different designs. I'd use a pale grey in the pink and blue area & a cream colored thread in the center. I think I would maybe try either ribbon candy or Leah Day's "Wiggly Pasta" design for the pink & blue knots with a wiggly circle where they meet; and then would just do SITD plus straight lines (all one direction) in the centers with cream thread. A 50wt thread will help it blend in with the fabric more than a heavier weight.

The main thing you have to keep in mind if you go with a variegated is to make sure no part of the variegation is an exact match to your fabric or that part of the design will completely disappear.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Looking good! A variegated thread would be fun!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 AM

You have made a lovely quilt. I would use a variegated thread also.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:28 AM

I would opt for an off white/cream thread on this one. For quilting, I can't FMQ so would SITD or outline quilt following the pattern in this lovely design. If you can FMQ, I would go with all over swirls as I prefer curvy quilting on angular/geometric piecing designs. Lovely quilt! I have never attempted anything that large, don't know how you manage to wrangle it around!!
Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 AM

I'm in agreement with Jeanne S. I would use a cream/off white thread and an all-over design with curves. I think this is lovely, and very impressive for a second quilt. Congratulations!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:04 PM

your quilt is beautiful! I would use variegated thread.. I think the light blue and pink would be very pretty and would not take away from the quilt at all
Old 09-05-2015, 01:50 PM

Beautiful quilt, I have no suggestions on the quilting, but can't wait to see your results.