Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: what should I use to tie

I like the embroidery floss because it seems to knot tight and then trim about to 1/2" IF YOU CUT IT 1/4" IT SEEMS TO WORK OUT THE KNOT AFTER ALOT OF WASHING AND USE. WOW sorry I hit the caps by mistake.I wasn't yelling. lol Mary

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    What do you all use to tie a baby quilt? I was going to use crochet cotton. Cutting threads short. Does anyone else use this?
    That is how our group ties the baby quilts we donate to the hospital. We cut the ties to 1/2".

I use both the embroidery floss and the yarn, depends on the look you want. I too like the way the yarn frays and looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigix12
    I used to tie but now I bar tack...it does the same keeps the batting in place and I like it because there are no ties for the babies to possibky get loose and choke on.
    Just a thought....
    I've done the "bar tacks" only I used the cute little decorative stitches on my machine. On one I used a little duck, on another a little flower. The bar tack did well on a camouflage quillow.

I use crochet cotton for any quilts I tie. It works much better than yarn as it is not stretchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigix12
    I used to tie but now I bar tack...it does the same keeps the batting in place and I like it because there are no ties for the babies to possibky get loose and choke on.
    Just a thought....
    I used the bar tacks on a lighthouse quilt once. I used gold metallic thread and tacked where the lights in the houses were. Cute!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I use emb. floss or pearle cotton. Use 100% cotton. Tying a square knot helps too.
    HI, I probably already know this, but, what is a square knot?
    And what is a "bar tack"?

I also tied a quilt with DMC's neon green on my daughters quilt and she brought it back to me and asked me to resew some of the seams that had seperated after washing. While studying the quilt so that I could fix everything I noticed that all of the "tied" places had come untied and were coming out of the quilt.

My friend cuts her ties to a 1/4 inch, drives me nuts but I
    guess it's what you like. I usually use emb. floss, cometimes crochet cotton depending on the color I need and what I have that color in. I like my ties about an inch then if they untie and I catch them (right!) they are easy to retie.

I used to tie now that I'am learning to machine quilt I have been doing machine quilting.. I tie with embroidery floss..

I used to tie now that I'am learning to machine quilt I have been doing machine quilting.. I tie with embroidery floss..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4