Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Special About the Janome Straight Sewing Foot? >

What is Special About the Janome Straight Sewing Foot?

What is Special About the Janome Straight Sewing Foot?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Default What is Special About the Janome Straight Sewing Foot?

I ordered a straight sewing plate and it came with a foot. I'm wondering what the advantage of using this foot is?

I notice it is nice and smooth and has curvy edges, so I'm guessing it glides over the fabric better than a standard foot?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Without a picture, it's hard to know what kind of foot it is, but I'm going to say that it's an embroidery foot, also known as a free motion foot.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:14 PM

No, it's not an embroidery foot. The plate will have only one small needle hole, and the foot will be quite solid looking. These two smooth flat surfaces work together to eliminate drag on the fabric and very straight, even stitches as fabric isn't pushed down slightly into a bigger hole. Just remember to NEVER try to use any other stitch than straight stitch while this plate and foot are attached.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:18 PM

I think it is a quarter inch acufeed foot that comes with that plate.Does the foot have a black flange on the side?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM

It's a straight stitch foot. I thought it would be great for quilting, but I would have to put tape down to measure 1/4" because I can't move the needle with the single hole, and I can't align the fabric with the right edge of it, because it is too wide.

Thanks Patchy, that's what I assumed but I wondered if I was missing any other way it could be used. Here's a picture, it has two holes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487460[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails straight.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 AM

It's funny, now that I upload it I can see the letter H, maybe I can find more tips that way too.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 AM

I learn something here every day - I have that Janome foot - it came with my machine - but no clue when to use it. Oh-uh time to read the instruction manual! too bad it doesn't have the 1/4 inch flange. I can't live without it!
Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I learn something here every day - I have that Janome foot - it came with my machine - but no clue when to use it. Oh-uh time to read the instruction manual! too bad it doesn't have the 1/4 inch flange. I can't live without it!
yes,it should have the 1/4 inch since it is for straight stitch only.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM

I agree, or at least size it so the edge is 1/4".

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
yes,it should have the 1/4 inch since it is for straight stitch only.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:44 PM

I used to sell machines and will recommend Janome over all others. It's been a sore point for years tho that Janome doesn't set up relevant feet to give an accurate 1/4", like a few of the European names do. Ok so sewing isn't all just about quilting, but they're not going to make feet 5/8" for dressmakers so why not for quilters?
A length of tape along your machine bed will give you your 1/4" guide, just frustrating!
The 1/4" foot that came with my 7700 was useless, infact they were recalled. It's silly that I had to buy their other 1/4" foot to get accuracy. At the end of the day, the tape on the bed really is the best, most visible option. And your straight stitch foot should give you beautiful stitch quality.