Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Stitch Works Best for Machine Applique? >

What Stitch Works Best for Machine Applique?

What Stitch Works Best for Machine Applique?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM

I am starting my first ever attempt at machine applique, and need to know what stitch works best. I was thinking of the blind hem, but if something else works better, I would love to hear it. Also, any good advice on this. I have not done even one stitch of applique, by hand or machine!!

Thanks, people. You guys give the best advice I have found anywhere!! I am proud to be associated with this board!!!

BTW -- Everyone have a very Happy New Year!!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I like a blanket stitch for mine but it depends on what you are working on and how much it will be washed etc, and what if anything you are using to stick the pieces down.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Yeah, that's another question.....fusible web, glue stick? Don't know. I'm a total novice at this. I found another post by searching, and am reading that. I think it will answer most of my questions. I should have looked before starting another topic!! :-( Anyway, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

i like the fusable web myself, it helps so that even if some of the stitching comes out that it shouldnt fray much or come off,
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

It depends on the effect you want. I have used (and prefer) blanket stitch. Sometimes, I use a topstitch close to the edege. None of the other methods worked well enough to report.

I generally use Steam-a-seam2 interfacing because it is lightweight. When attaching large areas, I sometimes cut out the center from the interface so it won't be too stiff.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM

I use a tiny satin stitch. That works best for me. Generally, I attach pieces using Heat and Bond.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 PM

I tend to use a double blanket stitch with a 40 wt or 50 wt thread, depending on how much I want the thread to show. I start with a few stitches straight along the edge of the applique and sew over them at the end and add a few more straight stitches when finished, to secure the stitches.

I use very light weight Steam a Seam.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM

I think the blanket would work to start out.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

I mainly use a small stitch length blanket stitch, it makes it easier to go around the corners, it holds the fabric down better.
However, I just did some trees and bushes. I used a decorative stitch on these, it gave the edges a more natural look.
If I have several layers of fabric, I prefer to use elmers glue around the edges and heat set with an iron. It keeps the layers more flexible feeling, because it washes out. This worked well in the trees and bushes, I FMQ them down as well. If I am not doing as much FMQ I would use a steam a seam product.
Play around with your machines various stitches, adjust the widths and lengths. I use 1 1/2 X 4 inch strips on a bigger piece of 12 X 12 inch fabric. Do a stitch, mark down beside it, which one it is, the stitch width and length. Each project may need a different look. :wink:
Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

I like the blanket stitch and I use a piece of paper on the backside for a stabilizer. Then rip it off.