Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are? >

What are?

What are?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 AM

I don't think the dear farm gals gave it a whole lot thought. They used what they had to make cozy coverings for their families. In the end, that's what it's all about. If you happen to run into the quilt police, remind them of that :-)
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 AM

All you can do is read as much info as possible, come here and ask anything ( there are no stupid questions). Pick what makes sense to you and give it a go. If it doesn't work ask here again for more ideas. If you find a way that works for you, do it. We all have our own ideas but nothing is written in stone. Don't stress and don't expect to learn everything in five minutes. Most important of all-Have Fun.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
I don't think the dear farm gals gave it a whole lot thought. They used what they had to make cozy coverings for their families. In the end, that's what it's all about. If you happen to run into the quilt police, remind them of that :-)
If you run into the quilt police, tell them to go and arrest themselves!!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 AM

The worst misinformation I ever heard is that a quilt is not a quilt unless it is hand stitched and hand quilted !
Old 06-23-2014, 07:14 AM

In everything take what works best for you.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:33 AM

How funny, that you have to be a certain age to quilt! My quilt guild, of which I am no longer a member, criticized a gifted, talented teen of 13, that she was too young to quilt when she was quilting rings around me! She stopped coming to guild, her mother, her grandmother and about 6 more of us! Such remarks need not be said. She still quilts, but the Guild took a membership hit for sure.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM

A certain AGE? tell that to our 4-H kids who do beautiful work.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM

For me it's - ALWAYS keep your seam allowance the same through out the project. After that I don't believe there are any hard-fast rules in quilting. Each quilt and quilter will follow the route they are meant to take.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 AM

I learned a long time ago that each quilter has a way that feel right for them. However there are those that will try to tell you their way is the only right way. When I hear of a different way I may try it and I have found some that were better for me than my old way while some of the old ways I do things make it better for me. So I feel that you should try what you like and find what is best for you and don't let anyone tell you that is not the right way. It is your quilt and if you like it when it is done you have done it right.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
The misconceptions or misinformation you have heard about quilting. I get confused with all different opinions. What can I believe.
Hi Not so much misconceptions but the comment that non patchworkers have made to me, ' Oh I couldn't be bothered to cut fabric up and then sew it together again' Grrrr.These same kind of people also comment, 'Oh I just wouldn't have the patience to do that, duh,probably not the skill either! If someone shows me lovely knitted or embroidered items etc,not skills I have, then I just admire, how about you ?x