Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to Teach a First Time Quilter (Child) >

What to Teach a First Time Quilter (Child)

What to Teach a First Time Quilter (Child)

Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 AM

Maybe a large 9patch or rail fence
Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM

I started my GD's when they were 10 and 12 with a tote bag (no lining). I cut it out and directed their sewing of it. They were thrilled that they could take something home after our afternoon of sewing. (I have two machines which made it easy). The next project was a pillowcase and next time, a year or so later, p.j. bottoms. The younger of the two girls mentioned that she would like to make a quilt and at age 15, started a twin size log cabin quilt with my help. Before the quilt, I thought doing a pillow top for a throw pillow would get her used to the process. Before rotary cutting the pieces for the quilt, I explained how careful you have to be with the cutter and the possible dangers of it. She took to the whole process very easily. It was a while before it was finished because of school and other activities, but she is 17 and uses it on her bed everyday. The other of the two girls does not show interest in quilting, but enjoys sewing. Of course, needless to say, I am thrilled.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:50 PM

In our local grammar school, the third grade class make quilts each year. (or they have the option of making their quilt top into a pillow). They select their fabric and are given a supplies list. Since I now have 2 nieces that have been through this program (and nephew will be coming up in another year or so) I've had great fun and practice with this. The project takes 1 week of one class hour per day.

The class teachers have no clue as to what is involved. They give the kids a cardboard template to cut out a solid block and a patterned block. (They do a very small quilt with alternating plain/patterned fabrics). The kids don't get the cutting part. I usually end up bringing home all the fabric and cutting it all out with my rotary cutter the first night. Also mark sewing lines on their blocks. There is no machine available to any of them - all hand piecing. Some of them are pretty diligent about their sewing...others not so much. Since they only have the week to complete the project it can get a bit hectic. After they have sewn all their blocks together I usually bring the tops home and reinforce the stitching where needed. I also bring home and machine sew the backing/batting to their tops or pillows. They then hand sew the turning openings closed.

For your adventure I'd probably do all the cutting and use an alternating plain block with a 4 patch block. About 6 or 8" blocks. Little hands/fingers might have issues with small pieces. And if it's a tedious pattern they might get bored quickly. Something small like a cuddle quilt could be done in a short period of time.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Sew without thread in machine, on a thin cardboard, following simple line. The cardboard becomes a card craft. Behind the front page of card, glue some colorful tissue idea paper.. Just to get them used to machine use.. Then, color with pastel chalk.. Something they get to take home.. or send to their friend.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:13 AM

Safety

sandy
Old 08-14-2014, 05:18 AM

3 Hours is not much time to work with one person on a quilt, let alone 2. But, I'd say just sew strips together till you get to the size you want and then sew the quilt together using the birthing method. You won't have time for stitching on paper, etc. Personally, I think the key to winning your nieces over to quilting is what fabric you use. Pick something they will fall head over heels about and you'll have them hooked. Kids are visual..... and fickle. They'll either love it or hate it.

Do let us know how it goes.... we all have younger nieces, nephews, and grandkids that might someday want our help to learn how to sew.