Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: what threads for what purpose

Many years ago I sewed everything with all purpose thread that was fairly inexpensive and my old singer was happy with it. I stopped sewing for about 10 or 15 years and bought a Designer 1. I love the machine, but the machine is a bit picky about threads that it will use. Especially for quilting. I no longer have a stock of threads to use and am stunned by how expensive it is now! I found this web page that gives pretty good info on different types of thread.

http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/s...l#thread_types

Blog Entries
    it's interesting to me that the writer refers only to a few of the most expensive brands on the market. :lol:

I noticed that too. But I am at a loss as to what is available that this is the first sight that I found that had any usable info. I would love to hear what the members here have to say about different kinds of thread and what is available!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    it's interesting to me that the writer refers only to a few of the most expensive brands on the market. :lol:

Blog Entries
    I used to use only Mettler or Aurafil in my Janome. But now because of the price and availability of Aurafil, I switched to Essentials from Connecting Threads. It is 100% cotton (they do have polyester to I think), and I love it. It is quite reasonable, price wise, the colour selections are great, and the delivery service is usually within one week. Lots of other board members recommended this brand and that is why I tried it, so far, not complaints with the product. I hope this helps.

I have seen Connecting Threads mentioned on this board before. I just went there and got lost in the fabrics! I think I will be ordering some of their thread sets this week! I'm glad to hear that you like their brand. And the price is great! Thanks!

IMHO, this is the best website out there to learn about threads....look for the links to explain all of them plus the needle size recommended. There are a number of tutorials also as Bob goes all over the US giving his class of threadology.

Yes, they're somewhat expensive but I love King Tut and many of his others. If these threads are more than you want to pay you can still gleen so much information to help you to learn about threads.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all for this education.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    Thanks to all for this education.
    Yes, thank you all so much! I am so glad I found this board! You all are wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by dilyn
    Many years ago I sewed everything with all purpose thread that was fairly inexpensive and my old singer was happy with it. I stopped sewing for about 10 or 15 years and bought a Designer 1. I love the machine, but the machine is a bit picky about threads that it will use. Especially for quilting. I no longer have a stock of threads to use and am stunned by how expensive it is now! I found this web page that gives pretty good info on different types of thread.

http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/s...l#thread_types

I use gutermann thread in my D1 and my SE as well as my other machines, I buy the all purpose thread at JoAnn's when it's on sale. It works very well. Never had the problems others talk about.