Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this tool called? >

What is this tool called?

What is this tool called?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Default What is this tool called?

Hi guys,

I am looking for the tool that you put on a square to mark the centre line and a quarter inch seam on each side..... If you know what I mean. It is for making squares from two different fabrics. I know I am not explaining myself very well but you are all great and I know there's somebody out there who will know what I mean.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:07 PM

Fons and Porter call their's Quarter Inch Seam Markers. There are two sizes in the package and I think that you can find them at Joann's. Here's a link http://www.joann.com/search/_quarter_in_seam_marker/

You could also draw a line diagonally from corner to corner and then sew 1/4" on either side of the line.

Good luck!
Colleen
Old 05-13-2012, 02:11 PM

I think you might mean half square triangle. You put two fabrics rst. Draw a line from corner to corner, stitch a quarter inch each side of it, then cut on the line. I press then square up with a square-up tool. The other tool you can get is a half inch ruler marked in center, you line it up and marke the two seam lines. Sew on them and cut between. You can also buy paper templates for this method. The square up tool i use is a square ruler with the diagonal line marked and square sizes marked in quarter inch increments. I hope this helps you.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM

There is a tool called "Quilter's Magic Wand" which is useful for marking those diagonal lines on squares. Maybe this is what you are looking for? I have a similar tool called "Seams Easy" but it is really old and I haven't been able to find it on Google! Good luck.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM

I have one that Cmrenno mentioned and liked the ease of using it. Sure made the sewing/cutting line a breeze. Mine only came one in a package, though.

Last edited by schoolteacher; 05-13-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-15-2012, 02:45 AM

Hi Caroline - hope you are well and still getting on good with 'Gracie'!! I've recently bought a great tool for marking half square triangles. It's called 'The Gizmo'. I got it in my local quilt store, but it's from Sally Schneider Quilts http://www.sallyschneider.com. Are you going to Malvern - I am and can't wait. Kate

Last edited by katei; 05-15-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:46 AM

I happen to love to make 1/2 square triangle-type quilts and I have that tool and it is, above all the rest of my "tools" the best and most precious to me! It makes making 1/2 square triangles so easy and so much fun. Mine is a Fons and Porter and I had two in the package. I like the shorter one the best and so I gave the longer one to a friend who has just started quilting and she is used to the longer one and likes that one!

Isn't it neat how everyone has one special tool? I love how everyone does something different and it still turns out beautifully. I always go by "My Quilt - My Rules" and that seems to work for me. Edie
Old 05-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Banned

if you are making HST's then ANY ruler can be used to mark the center line! OR just fold and press lightly with a wooden iron to make a crease...sew on the crease line!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 AM

For some reason my sewing lines are not straight so the Fons and Porter 1/2 in rulers are a must for me.
I sew on the lines instead of trying to keep my 1/4 in line straight.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You know, you can always draw a line down the center on the diagonal and then sew 1/4" on each side of it and then cut on the line and you'll get the same results. I have a doo-hickey that is 1/2" wide with slots in the middle and I draw on either side and inside the slots and then I sew down the drawn lines and cut where I drew on the slots. I don't know where on earth I bought it, but I think that is what you are looking for. I usually don't use it. I do it the way I told you.