Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What type of Batting do you use?

I have a roll of Warm and Natural. I have used Hobbs wool (quilted like BUTTAH! but not machine dryable), Hobbs 80/20, the green batting made from pop bottles (I think that is quilters dream brand),Hobbs poly down (loved this and am saving up for a roll. Thinking I will use this for kids quilts and such.) and the bamboo one from Joanns (that was for a customer and have not heard if she liked how it washed. Heard it was from a renewable source, but hard on the envionment to make. Have not done my homework on that. Just hearsay.) Gee...I thought I only used Warm and natural! lolol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hobbs 80/20 or their Tuscany..both are great!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi
    I have a roll of Warm and Natural. I have used Hobbs wool (quilted like BUTTAH! but not machine dryable), Hobbs 80/20, the green batting made from pop bottles (I think that is quilters dream brand),Hobbs poly down (loved this and am saving up for a roll. Thinking I will use this for kids quilts and such.) and the bamboo one from Joanns (that was for a customer and have not heard if she liked how it washed. Heard it was from a renewable source, but hard on the envionment to make. Have not done my homework on that. Just hearsay.) Gee...I thought I only used Warm and natural! lolol
    the info on the Bamboo is correct!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by soccertxi

thanks Jacquie! I could not remember where I heard that....

the info on the Bamboo is correct!

mim
    I always use poly batting -- there are so many allergies that I am extra careful. And they dry better IMHO. Kids quilts need a lot of washing.
    Mim

Banned
    Warm and Natural is what I use generally. I also really like Hobbs wool batting.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quilters Dream Blend for quilts to be used - I find it stays softer than the W and N even when close quilted. I use the Hobbs 80/20 if I'm hand quilting and the Quilters Dream Poly Select or Request for wall hangings and art pieces. Having said that, my LQS has poly on a roll that looks and feels similar to the Quilters Dream Poly and works out cheaper than the packages I currently get so once I run out, I might try that.

I prefer poly. I handquilt and tie a lot and it works the best - the needle goes through easily and doesn't have to be tied so close. And it is lightweight and has more loft. Cotton in a large quilt gets heavy, IMO. I have done a little machine quilting with poly and it was fine.

Whatever you decide to use, if you are tying, make sure it is not a batting that has to be quilted 2 to 4" apart.

Banned
    I normally use Warm & Natural but yesterday used Dream Green for the first time. I liked it and love that it uses stuff not piling up in landfills. It will become my new batting of choice.

Mostly Hobbs 80/20.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast