Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of  thread do you use to FMQ? >

What type of thread do you use to FMQ?

What type of thread do you use to FMQ?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM

I found with my Viking that it likes certain threads better than others. It does better with Isacord and Kingtut than others. I also do something that is supposedly a big no, no. I have to fmq with my feed dogs in the up position. It just does better.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 AM

I just finished FMQing three quilts on (two on my Viking and one on my Pfaff) and used Essential Pro, the new poly thread from Connecting Threads. Loved it!! Did not break once, almost no lint from the thread, and a nice, smooth matte finish makes it look like cotton. Bought a couple of cones to try because of the price. I will get a couple more. And, I put it on my wish list as a stocking stuffer for Christmas.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
My Viking loves Aurifil, Wonderfil, Gutterman, YLI for quilting. I use Aurifil more than anything else.

Whatever your machine likes! Make yourself a practice sandwich and write one it what you use so you can compare a few.
Best advice ever, I always make a practise sandwich and test out different threads, especially when I get a new machine, I don't mean NEW new machine just another one, oh you know what I mean I am sure.

My Singer Capri prefers Sylko so I have to buy that on EBay, my Elna 7200 will use anything and the others are not too fussy either. I have started using the Superior "Bottom line" thread and if you go to their site: http://www.superiorthreads.com/ you will find an enormous amount of really good information.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 AM

I would not use serger thread! I use a 16 needle to fmq, and the serger thread needs a 14 needle (at least in my experience). When I was a newbie, I tried the serger thread and found that it broke all the time. I use the thread from Connecting Threads - in the bobbin and on top. Works wonderful; no breaking or skipping.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 AM

Superior Threads King Tut is very nice to work with. There's not much lint and breakage is minimal.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 AM

i use the superior thread 50 wt. they recommend that with my 6600p that i fmq with.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

You know you can get just as crazy about buying thread as you can fabric - whod'a thunk it.
I'm crazy about thread!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 AM

I use serger thread, machine quilt and regular cotton thread. Try different kinds to see which one you prefer.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 AM

Definitely go to the superior threads site. Look under the education tab. That said, what kind of thread you use depends on the effect you want on your quilt. Embroidery thread is usually shiny and is great for hightlighting areas on a quilt -- eyes, sun, flowers. The heavy weight threads will show and are great if this is what you want. If this is your first attempt, you might want to use a 50 or 60 weight. These ligher weights will blend into the background and all your learning "mistakes" don't show up so much. As stated above, use a quilt sandwich with your actual quilt fabric and batting, and have fun trying out different threads until you find the one that gives you the effect you want.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 AM

I agree with Katier825, my Viking only likes certain threads. The ones I use the most are Aurifil and YLI.