Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to use for basting ? >

What to use for basting ?

What to use for basting ?

Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Question What to use for basting ?

Hi everyone:
I'm new to the forums and I have been quilting for a couple of years. I haven't done any big quilts as of yet, but I have done a few table runner and a few rag baby quilts . The one thing I hate about quilting is having to baste the layers together. I usually machine quilt and the pins just get in the way. I'd like to use one of the sprays available, but I want to know if the finished product HAS to be washed when it's completed . I want to do some wall hangings, and I didn't want to have to wash them until they were soiled. Can anyone help ?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Power Poster

I am a big fan of Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt. I use a dry iron to fuse my sandwich together for FMQ and it works really well for me. I lay my back down flat, smooth out the batt, and smooth down the top. Using my iron from the middle out, I fuse the front. I pick up and flip over the sandwich and iron the back from the middle out. The batt lets you peel up the fabric and re-iron if you get a wrinkle. I put a few safety pins round the edge so I don't accidentally peel up an edge. I wash my quilts to remove the guile for a softer, fluffier look. My wallhangings I leave the fusible in and do not wash. My wallhangings are 3 years old and counting with no problems.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 AM

Patchwork Mama...what an excellent question. One I had not thought about, but most likely will at some point.

Tartan....thanks for the informative answer. I will definetely be trying this at some point.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 AM

I've tried a few different ways to baste ...

I liked spray basting for small pieces only. I had such a problem with positioning and overspray when I tried to spray baste a large quilt that I will never do that again.

For larger quilts I use Sharon Schamber's method where she uses two boards to help keep the top and bottom smooth (and it does a great job of doing that), and then I hand baste (even though I hate it). I do two things different than she does though. One is that I use water soluble thread so I don't have to pull all the threads out when I'm done quilting (I just quilt over them), and the other is that I baste with the backing on the top. The reason I baste with the backing on the top is that when you make the herringbone stitches - the stitches on the topside are larger than the stitches on the bottom side. Those long herringbone stitches are easy to catch on the hopping foot when quilting. So I baste with the backing up and that way the longer herringbone stitches are on the bottom where they won't be caught on anything, and the smaller horizontal stitches are easier to avoid when quilting.

The next quilt I do I think I'm going to try using elmers school glue. Not sure what method I'll use for keeping the backing/batting/top straight and smooth ... I'll work that out. I won't be able to use the boards.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

You don't *have* to wash out basting spray when you are finished. It's just generally done on bed quilts so there are no unnecessary chemicals in the quilt people sleep under. I have used several different brands of basting spray, and highly recommend spending the extra money and using 505 brand. It doesn't stink and just plain works better than the others.

It helps to use good technique when applying basting spray. You don't want to spray the entire backing, then try to lay the batting on top! Google basting spray to find descriptions of the proper technique.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

one reason people choose to wash out the basting spray and fusables is because they cause (stiffness) and to remove the chemicals before sleeping/cuddling...for a wall hanging it seems like you would want that stiffness to stay...you do not have to wash your finished project unless it's one that will receive regular laundering and you want to.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM

I love the 505 spray but have never used it on a bed sized quilt. The largest I've done is a lap quilt 60x72 and it washed fine. I have used it a lot on table runners and placemats but have not washed it out. Joann's online has it on sale for 50% off quite often. I usually stock up then. I spread a disposable tablecloth from the dollar store on a large table and spray in my basement in the winter; do it outside in the summer. There's no smell.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:52 PM

Thank you everyone for all the information. It answered my question and then some . Happy Quilting everyone !
Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 AM

I also use Sharon Schambers' method of basting. a) it's cheap because i can use the extra embroidery floss i have left over from my cross stitch days and b) I don't get overspray - don't have anywhere to spray it anyway.

I can't imagine trying to spray a large quilt anyway and keeping it straight. The same thing for the fusible batting - I only have a regular size ironing board, so ironing that all to get it down well enough isn't happening w/ my set up. Reality is that I can baste it quicker than I can mess w/ that other stuff anyway.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 AM

My life was changed when I discovered basting spray. I lay a plastic drop cloth on the hardwood floor of my living room, lay down the backing, then the batting and then the top. Everything gets smoothed out, and then I roll back a quarter of the top at a time, spray, and roll it back and pat it down firmly. It is soooo much easier than crawling around on the floor pinning and thread-basting.