Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What to use in the bobbin with metallic thread?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    I do a lot of machine appliqué and to avoid holes I use a Microtex needle. These have very sharp blade-like points to pierce the fabric. The actual eye in the needles is the same no matter what size of needle you buy, so if your fabric is not too thick you can go right down in needle size.
    Also, if you haven't got Metallic needles to hand, Topstitch is another needle with a big eye.
    Thank you this is good to know! I'm headed to Jo Ann's today to pick up needles...usually what I keep around are 70/10 and 90/12 microtex needles and a few 90/12 universals for piecing. I will pick up some of those metallic thread needles today!
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I use metallic thread on both the top and the bobbin, no problems, I like the same look on both sides of the quilt.
    groovey

Just a little update for anyone else reading this thread! I ended up buying size 12 schmetz metallica needles - they are working well! I am using a bronze colored glitter with a dark honey colored cotton in the bobbin. That combination so far seems to be working out and I had to fiddle with tension for a bit but somewhere around 6 (which is much higher tension than I thought I'd need) I don't see either thread on either side of the fabric.

One thing to note - it doesn't seem to like it when I backtrack over other stitching. If I'm quilting on fresh new unquilted fabric its' fine, but it continually broke on me when I tried to stitch over some feathers.

I would love to see a pic of your wolves.

Just an update picture - thank you for all of your help!!! You guys are seriously THE BEST!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2