Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to use instead of polyster batting
>

Old 10-03-2007, 03:56 PM
lin

Originally Posted by Pam Pollock
I use Warm & Natural cotton batting. It is a low loft batting & very warm but not too thick & it's easy to quilt. I like to buy it when it's on sale or I can use a coupon. It comes on a bolt or in bags. It comes in a nice wide width when I buy it off of a bolt.
This. Word for word. :) Love those 40% off coupons that I can print out from the Hobby Lobby website!!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Suz

While at the Joann's cutting table, a lady had a nice fleece being cut. When I checked it out, it was a poly felt, the craft stuff. I know! I know! Felt is usually very stiff but not this piece. I was so surprised. I actually thought it was a piece of Warm and Natural.

I might get a piece later, wash and see how it goes.

Suzanne
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM

I, too have used Warm and Natural, but I am sure going to try the flannel for batting. What a good idea, since they have it for $2 a yard at Joann's
right now, lots cheaper than W & N. :D
Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Suz

SewMuch,

Be sure to wash and dry very hot the flannel as it is well known to shrink. And I would think the cheaper the flannel, the more shrinkage. Buy extra.

Suzanne
Old 10-04-2007, 08:20 AM

I buy batting on the bolt sometimes........I like the one that is mostly cotton with just a little poly........less shrink..........I use old and sometimes new blankets in my quilts that are for winter use. You can buy some cheap ones at walmart. at christmas abt 5 for a full. I'm always looking for the flat sheets.........available at thrift stores or garage sales as they outlast the bottom

These are out quilts to use......the ones for show, we follow the "rule" somewhat lol :wink:
Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

I use Warm & Natural, too. And I always buy the whole bolt of it at 50% off. Love it! I sew the trimmings together and use those so there is no real waste.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Modern quilt battings don't have the bearding problem like the ones available in the 70s did. Look for "bonded" on the label. The fluffy stuff like you use for stuffing pillows will work through.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 PM

I agree with Moonpi. I think the poly batts are a better choice for most charity quilts. They are warmer, wash up great, and they are cheaper.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM

I too use blankets. They don't pile or separate, and they are easy to quilt thru. I use sheets for backing if I can match color or want a particular pattern. The kids blankets I love using kid sheets.