Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What use is a serger? >

What use is a serger?

What use is a serger?

Old 01-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Maybe not for a quilt, but quilted items: pot holders, bibs, quilllows, and other items that a serged edge would be helpful :D:D:D
Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I have made a couple of quilts with my serger.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 PM

My mom has a serger, and she uses it to make my scrub tops for work. She really loves it!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 PM

I have three sergers . I love them and don't know what I'd do without them. They are all very similar, one is a Bernina, the other two are Jukies. Bernina sergers are made by Juki and are essentially the same machine with just a few extra features but for an exorbitantly higher cost.

A car accident in August has limited my abilities immensely. I can hardly do anything at all now but here are a couple of things I made previously using one of my sergers, almost exclusively for construction. Most serger patterns call for a 1/4" seam which sounds daunting when you are not used to them but mastering the serger and its 1/4" seam produces perfect results. There will usually be some finish work on your regular machine, depending on the pattern. I use only Kwik Sew Pattern because they are simple and foolproof and almost , (but not all), of their patterns are geared for that 1/4" seam. Years ago I took a serger quilt class. At the time it was a novel idea but I was not happy with it at all and didn't want to waste my time completing the project. I love conventional quilting with all its possibilities.

Yellow Nighty
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166321[/ATTACH]

Hand Smocked Dress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166323[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166316.jpe   attachment-166318.jpe  
Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM

I have a bernina 004D and love it... you are right you don't use them very often but... I have made a king log cabin with it..don't ever run out of bobbin thread!! and if you make a lot of bags.... they are great for finishing the seams on bags.
They are wonderful for the Kay Wood 9 hr quilt for babies all done on a serger and I've made several of those and some I have used wooley thread on the edge and no binding...
Judy
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM

My serger used to be a very pretty nick nack in my sewing room. Then a couple of years ago they gave a class at the area Vo Tech -- Serger for Beginners -- it is one of her most popular classes. We learned to make small potholders, rolled hems, and how to make a rail fence quilt pieced entirely on the serger. It is now one of her most popular classes she gives it every year.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Sergers are great if you do a lot of apparel sewing, not so much quilting. I have an "old" serger that is a terrific machine and it's been used a LOT when I was making clothing, now that I'm quilting and not so much sewing, it doesn't get used much, but it's earned it's well deserved rest, but I won't get rid of it.