Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this Used HQ Machine Worth... >

What is this Used HQ Machine Worth...

What is this Used HQ Machine Worth...

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Someone is selling an HQ Handiquilter 16...no SR...comes with Laser Stylus...2004 machine...is it worth $3000..can you add a SR to this older machine...it cannot be tested as it has been disassembled for storage...is that something to worry about...your advice is appreciated...
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM

If it can't be tested, I would steer clear. It's better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to spend that kind of money just to be disappointed! Something else will come along!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:35 PM

I agree with Emily. If the person is willing to sell it, they should be willing to let you test drive it. That's a lot of money to spend on a wish and a prayer.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM

I would ask, would you test drive a car before purchasing? Probably so, so the same should apply to the machine. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

I think a brand new one with the warranty are only selling for about $5000. including the table. Why pay that much for a 7 year old machine? I would pass on it if I were you. Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
I think a brand new one with the warranty are only selling for about $5000. including the table. Why pay that much for a 7 year old machine? I would pass on it if I were you. Happy Stitchin' crafty_linda_b
Linda, are you talking about the sit down model or the one on the frame..this one is on an adjustable, up to 12 ft. frame..but you are right ..if that is the price of new..I will definitely not pay that much for a used one...
Old 06-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

you can contact handiquilter- they have a nice web site- and find out if upgrades/sr/other tools are available.
seems a little high- but if it hasn't been used much, has a table, plenty of bobbins, bobbin winder, needles, BOOKS-
it (might be) a reasonable price--
sure would not consider it with out test driving it!
it's an investment- and as big a deal as buying a car- don't buy without test=driving- completely checking out.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:25 AM

Try before you buy. There's lots of used machines just waiting for the right person. AccomplishQuilting.com is one for starters. They're in Stephensville, Michigan.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:33 AM

I just spoke with a lady that paid $10,000 for hers last year. It was the HQ16 with the table and she was trying to get $4,500.00 with no SR. Anytime you buy it used, make sure you test drive. If they are not willing to get it out and allow you do test it, don't walk away, R U N!!!!

PS The lady finally did sell hers, but she only got $3500.00. It was a nice machine and was set up the entire time in her dinning room with very little use.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I just spoke with a lady that paid $10,000 for hers last year. It was the HQ16 with the table and she was trying to get $4,500.00 with no SR. Anytime you buy it used, make sure you test drive. If they are not willing to get it out and allow you do test it, don't walk away, R U N!!!!

PS The lady finally did sell hers, but she only got $3500.00. It was a nice machine and was set up the entire time in her dinning room with very little use.
Thanks for all your advice, ladies...I will not buy before trying...that makes sense..we don't have lots of used machines coming our way here in Canada..at least I don't come across them...there are limited retailers here in Toronto..or maybe I haven't found them...if anyone knows of a good place to go let me know...thanks again