Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will I do? >

What will I do?

What will I do?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM

I have a Brother 6000i and it says that E6 means the thread is tangled. Look under the feed dogs and see it there is a tangle of thread there. I had to do this once myself. Hope this helps.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Beginner64
My Brother sewing machine also can not be oiled.
Nope, can't oil the new ones.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I have the Brother CS6000i ----DO NOT OIL ---

E6 means there is a thread problem- usually in the bobbin area - have you done all the normal steps- rethread top of the machine - new needle- new bobbin in the bottom ? I use a qtip to clean out under my feed dogs after taking the bobbin out -- check the bobbin to make sure the thread is coming off the bobbin correctly when it comes off the bobbin it should be over the center of the bobbin -- and for some reason with this machine the thread spool feeds off from the front not the back :wink: Does that make sense ?
Good Luck
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM

That darn thread can be the problem. Clean out the bobbin area, that's the first place I go because on the new machines, that's one of the few things you can maintenance.

I was getting skipped stitches and the last thing I did was change the thread and lo and behold! Perfect stitches. The thread was old. No problems since!

Also check your needle to be sure it isn't slightly bent. If you can't tell, just put a new one in anyway.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM

I agree... those pesky thread "nests" under the feed dogs can be a nightmare!!.I keep a hemostat..(yah I'm a nurse) by the machine to help pull out stray threads and whenever I change the bobbin I have a new paintbrush that I clean out all in that area.. I have a Bernina.. but this can be a problem with many different machines. Good luck. By the way.. you can buy a hemostat in (of all places) the fishing department at WalMart. handy for LOTS of sewing tasks. And pulling fish hooks out of fishy throats.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:00 AM

I walked away for the night and am going to tackle the problem this morning,after my coffee.My machine is a cs6000i so no I cant oil it, am going to do as suggested and clean under feed dogs ,change needle,bobbin and rethread.Will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I agree... those pesky thread "nests" under the feed dogs can be a nightmare!!.I keep a hemostat..(yah I'm a nurse) by the machine to help pull out stray threads and whenever I change the bobbin I have a new paintbrush that I clean out all in that area..
LMAO - I have about a dozen pairs of hemostats around the house. I have one in/with each machine, especially my serger. One in the catchall on my living room end table. One in the 'stuff' basket over my washer/dryer and several in the medicine cabinet and bathroom cabinet. It is amazing all of the things that hemostats are good for.

Besides using on my machines, the best use for them is taking ticks off of my dogs. We live in the country - a house in the middle of 120 acres with a stream and swamp nearby - so we have LOTS of ticks. Use them to grab the whole tick, including the head, twist and you have it all. We then drop them in a little rubbing alcohol in a small bathroom cup and toss them down the toilet.

BTW - we have the hemostats because my husband is a volunteer EMT-Intermediate and firefighter and I am a volunteer EMT-Basic. So when we use a set of hemostats, we set them aside, sterilize them and reuse them. Due to sanitary guidelines, after the package is opened whether they are used or not, they have to be pitched, even though they are the solid steel ones that are used in hospitals and things. Seems like such a waste.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
What will I do,my machine is trying to lock up or something.It will sew a few stiches then it starts shuddering and E6 comes up.This is a brother 6000.I;ve done everything I can think of. I have alot of christmas sewing to do,like 9 Bow tucks and 5 small quilts.What will I do,can someone give me some advice,before I pull out my hair and scream.Cant afford another machine.This one is less than a yr old
i have a brother 6000 [i'm sure most of you have heard me b----] it was doing the same thing,took it to 2 diff shops,it was the mother board.$400.00 at one shop,$300.00 at the other.when they installed the board they found another smaller board was out,very cheap,but no longer available.after that,i gave up!fortunately,there was no charge.i ended up buying an innovi snx450q.it wason sale for $550.00 inc the quilting table.have had problems seeing to finish the threading ,but just got new glasses,so hopefully that will help !i have 1 yr to get full trade in,so am still trying .good luck
dar