Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would do? >

What would do?

What would do?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 AM

BFF sent me a stack of embroidered blocks that her mother had sewn. She wanted to give the quilt to her daughter.
I don't remember discussing size, but told her I would put it together with whatever fabric she sends with it (backing and borders). Completed the quilt piecing - had two extra blocks made her pillows. Sent to my LA friend to be finished.
she picked it up two weeks ago. Sent me an email, that she decided to give it to her daughter, but the quilt just fits the top of her queen size bed. She asked if I had any suggestions as to how to make it bigger, possibly add a border all around. Hinted that it was supposed to be a queen size. Got the feeling she was disappointed. No money involved except the LAQuilter. I even used some of my stash fabric to finish the quilt.
What would you do? Offer to take the binding off and add another border? I don't want to lose her friendship, known each other since before Kindergarten.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Take off the binding.... and add more...
Friendships that long ,well chaulk it up to a lack of communication.......
Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by luv-e
Take off the binding.... and add more...
Friendships that long ,well chaulk it up to a lack of communication.......
I agree. It would be a shame to lose a friend over it
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I agree. However, I doubt this would do your friendship in. That's a long time :)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:19 AM

I hope the friend paid for the quilting.
I do think that maybe some "drape" could be added, but you will probably have to search to get some matching fabrics. Just hope that you haven't purged the left overs.

Naw, we don't get rid of scraps, do we!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Not sure what I would do with the friend but I remember making an applique quilt for my daughter that took a LONG time to complete. In between time she purchased a bigger bed and initially she complained that the quilt was too small for the bed and what would she do. I suggested it be used on a different bed or the couch. But each time I visit I notice that she uses it on her bed and the fact that it doesn't have a long overhang is not an issue...it's nice to see she has grown up!!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:44 AM

I made a quilt for a couple in Vanuatu for Xmas, and didn't intend for it to be a bed quilt-just a couch throw. They wanted it for their bed and asked me to add a bigger border. I had hand-quilted it and sewed on the binding by hand-and just didn't think another border would look good on that quilt. I suggested if they wanted it on their bed, they either got a matching plain spread (in this case, a white spread would have looked best) and use my quilt at a topper. They didn't like that, and kept "hinting" that they wanted it made bigger, even suggesting I "sew" the quilt to a queen size spread. Sort of hurt my feelings a bit, but I didn't do it. The next year, they got an Xmas tree skirt!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I think your friend is expecting too much from you. What you are thinking of doing would take a very long time to do and such a headache. She should just accept things she cannot change or do it herself. What you did for her was very, very generous. She should appreciate it and move on!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM

Just thinking out loud.... could you maybe add a border without removing the binding... sew it on under the back of the binding.. kinda like having the binding as a "welt" - cant think of the correct word I am looking for. Hope you can visualize what I am saying ;-)
Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM

I agree, could you just do a skirt type look under the binding side? How else would you attach another border to a already quilted piece? won't it have a hard ridge to it?