Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes? >

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

Old 03-21-2015, 02:27 AM
Power Poster

Probably could not help me as I love my ENTIRE stash.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 AM

My tastes keep changing. Today my civil war fabrics spark joy but tomorrow it might be batiks and the next day
it will be repro 30's and so on. I can't see getting rid of any of my stash and that is probably the most
I have clutter with.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:10 AM

I like unorganized clutter. If you con't believe me come to my house and I'll move some stuff so I can open the door and let you in.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:56 AM

My problem isn't my "stash" ... I keep it small on purpose. But the rest of my house definitely needs it. Every time I try to get rid of something, I keep thinking I'll do something with it (but don't). My biggest problem right now is that all I want to do is sew. I did clean out a lot of things in 1 room last Fall but can't get inspired to start the next room. Maybe I should read this book. Ha. My DH, on the other hand, throws everything away. When I finish a crossword puzzle book, I hand it to him to toss simply for that reason. He always laughs.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RST View Post
It's hard to be living and breathing and not run into the Konmari phenomenon (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The author is Marie Kondo. ) She's the Japanese organizational diva who advocates keeping only those objects which spark joy in your heart, and purging everything else. The process of ridding yourself of everything but what you love leaves you with peace, joy, harmony and order, she says.

I wonder what she'd make of quilters. I think I'm like many quilters -- my fabric does indeed spark joy for me. But even so, my sewing room can get to be a mess. Are we the exceptions that prove the rule?
Wonder if that also applies to family members?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:42 AM

I really like the KonMari method, but didn't get very far beyond my closet. Of course, we're in the middle of a Kitchen remodeling project, so it's difficult to get to other items right now, for al the boxes of kitchen items stashed all over the house. This method was very helpful for my 2 daughters, ages 11 and 13. They found it easier to let go of toys and trinkets that they have been holding onto for far too long. As a result, their rooms have stayed clean longer than they ever have in the past.
When our kitchen project is done, and I'm unpacking boxes and boxes of equipment, I'll be using her method to determine if I really need all the items I've held onto. The room that really needs this method, however, is my craft room. I was a Stamping' Up! demonstrator for 11 years, and have all the equipment and supplies that goes along with that. Very little of it still sparks joy. I've even taken to purchasing cards now, so I really don't need all those card making supplies. One day, I'll have a really big garage sale with it. We're talking $10K worth of product collected over that decade. Sad, but true. I love quilting now, and love that what I create now will last many many years and is useful. While a handmade card is nice, and beautiful. I regularly would spend up to 4 hours on a single card, and the joy it sparked for the recipient would last only a few moments. Often, it would be in the garbage within a day.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
It's hard to be living and breathing and not run into the Konmari phenomenon
Guess I'm dead then...but I can't imagine heaven is any more awesome than my creatively chaotic studio. Personally, I would find life with nothing but 'peace, joy, harmony and order' boring and mundane, downright colorless. Without any downs, the ups would lose all meaning for me.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 AM

You can listen to the audio book free through Hoopla. Lots of great stuff through that website. I think you have to have a library card to use it??????

That being said---we moved across country 2 1/2 years ago. I would say we disposed of half of our belongings as we had a basement there and none here---nor garage. Once you go through that--you work hard to avoid it again.

I have a good sized stash that lives in a closet. My sewing room is small and I hate sewing in a mess. I clean up after each project as it can get crazy with pulled fabrics, etc.

I loved Peter Wash when he had his TV show---Clean Sweep. He did not work in houses with filth and nasty stuff. Just houses with too many things. I learned some great things watching him.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 AM

Never heard of her, but have been a working flylady since I was introduced to her methods in the late 90's.
I will not be buried by 'stuff'.
She is the main reason behind going on the fabric wagon in October 2001. Only this year have I bought a few pieces of fabric. I'm certainly no longer enchanted by the idea of stash or shopping for fabric. Thank heavens.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:59 AM

An interesting thought, but I do like to hang on to too many things. I am surprised at just how often I am glad that I saved something and don't have to go out and replace it with something cheaper made and more expensive.