Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

Maybe his gift to you can be a service of some sort.......massage, dishes, cook a special meal, coupon book of special things???....then you could give him the quilt as planned!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
give it to him. my hubby stopped years ago and doesn't celebrate any special occasion. shame, but that's him.
My dh the same. old scrooge himself. doesn't want to celebrate so we don't. he doesn't think of the grandkids or our youngest who will be coming home for the holidays. give him the gift and tell him you made it with love and are not expecting a gift in return --after all it is the season for giving of love like God did for us so long ago.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Do you have a "honey do" project that doesn't cost much but he really has put off for a long time? Maybe you could suggest he give you that? Or maybe suggest several so he can surprise you. I would be upfront and tell him that you have already gotten his gift. And yes, I would give it at Christmas. The love that went into creating his gift, the satisfaction of seeing it given, sometimes the gift is really for the giver.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 PM

I would give him the quilt too. The pleasure is in the giving I say!!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 AM

There is always room for gifts and they don't always have to cost money. We challenged ourselves one year to spending absolutely nothing, but still to give gifts of self, time, favors, etc. It was an exceptional year which we remember far beyond any of the gifts received.

You might want to consider that. I'll just bet there's something he could come up with ... maybe doing one of those long-standing items on the "Honey, do" list.

Blessed Holidays to you!
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 AM

I had my son and daughter in law make the same announcement- they were not going to exchange gifts because they were saving for a down payment on a home. (YEA, 5 miles from our home, 1000's from hers)....I gave them the quilt I had planned on giving them for Christmas with a changed label that said "Winter Wonder-I love you........2011 and signed it. I gave it to them Thanksgiving Day instead- they love it and I stayed within their wishes, gift it to him- just not as a "Christmas Gift".........he will love it and you can share in the love it brings both of you.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by abcquilt View Post
i have made my husband a quilt for christmas. Yesterday he informed me that we can't afford christmas gifts for each other this year. I didn't tell him i have made something for him so i'm not sure what to do. In years past i have given him anniversary or valentines day gifts and he has forgotten to get me something and he feels so bad! So should i give the quilt to him or should i use it as a gift next year? What would you do?
you made it for him so give it to him.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Give it to him - it is better to give than to receive. Why do you need to receive a gift?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 AM

I would put it under the tree and tell him it's something you made for "us" - something you can cuddle under together!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 AM

I would give it to him. Tell him you made it with love. Also, tell him the announcement was just too late. I always give my hubby Christmas gifts and rarely receive one back. But then all the times he drives me (as I can't drive) to the LQS; doesn't say too much when I spend too much on fabric, and picks up speciality items for my quilting during the year I consider my presents.