Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
How about honoring his request at Christmas, but giving it to him on New Year's Eve? Tell him it's to keep both of you warm through the whole year. I know he'll love it. He no doubt knows how much love you put into everything you make.
I like your way of thinking! That's what I would do if it was me.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM

I would still give it to him, telling him it was made BEFORE his 'no gifts this year rule.' I'd also tell him that his gift to you was the pleasure you received by making it
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
Why not just leave it out Christmas eve and act as if you know nothing! Santa must have left it for us...feign ignorance! You will both use it most likely so be really excited about YOUR new quilt, you could even ask him "Did you do this, after telling me not to get you anything?" If he has a sense of humor he will enjoy the playacting, and have a new quilt! Linda
This is our scenario every year!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Only you know your situation and your husband. Be guided by your head and heart.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

I would give it to him..it's intended for him. It's about what's in our hearts not the money.
Blessings
C
Old 12-08-2011, 09:46 AM

I would give it to him - my hubby and I have been married for 25 years - and those years were pretty bleak in the beginning - sometimes we gave gifts alot of times we didn't I always said as long as we were together happy and healthy that is all I needed - he agreed. Never got hung up on the gift thing. But my hubby likes to surprise me with gifts during other times of the year which can be very fun when you are not expecting it. When I give something to hubby and he doesn't give back - I always tell him that I get such joy in making something for him and giving to him that I don't need a gift in return. I know this sounds very Hallmark but its really true. I am sure he will love it and you will love giving it to him - what a nice surprise.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Give him the quilt,tell him it is something you have been making for a while and have now finished it.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

yeah being healthy, happy, secure, with family are the most important gifts but unexpected gifts are the fun. Take the fun out of something and it's not fun for no one.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Tell him that it is too late, that you already made him something. Add that if he wants to give you something, it can be something he makes or a service he provides... he doesn't have to spend money. You don't have to tell him it's a quilt. Telling him now will avoid his being uncomfortable when he sees the quilt and he has nothing for you.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I would tell him "let's make a deal that we each will make something for the other". Because if he really does feel bad when he doesn't get you anything this gives him an opportunity to "make" you a gift - it could be something as simple as a home cooked meal; a complete auto detailing of your car; or something else that requires manual labor. One year my daughter gave me a coupon book that she made containing coupons for cleaning house, cooking a meal, making my favorite dessert, etc.
This is what I was thinking, I also think the New Year's Eve or it could be Christmas Eve idea is good. It also depends on if there are others there when you exchange gifts or just the two of you. Some embarrassment comes from appearing "thoughtless" in front of others, then you have to explain...yada yada. I like the gift exchange idea, and this way it is an exchange which prevents him from feeling bad or awkward. Just tell him, we don't have to go out and buy each other gifts we can exchange meaningful gifts of time. Let him give you a few ideas and include one with the quilt or pick something you know he will appreciate-a back rub, foot rub, a "you pick the menu and the movie night at home", etc.