Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Blog Entries

What would you do?

I've been working on a quilt for about a month right now and have almost finished piecing it. Around a week ago I ran into problems decided to take a class to help me trouble shoot and planned on finishing after the class.

After taking the class I learned a lot and discovered some of my largest issues including finding out that my 1/4" seam allowance from my 1/4" presser foot isn't a 1/4" and is too wide.

Now I'm stuck in this situation where I want to make a beautiful quilt and I'm almost done but every seam I'm sewing I know is wrong but if I want to continue with this quilt I have to continue with the wrong seam.

I have two choices I can continue and make this quilt knowing all the mistakes or I can stop go buy new fabric and start all over...

What would you do?

Here is an image of my quilt plus the block I did after learning a lot yesterday...

Thanks for your input.

Yael

Name:  WP_20130415_001.jpg
Views: 3604
Size:  193.1 KB
    Name:  WP_20130415_002.jpg
Views: 3609
Size:  139.4 KB

I'd continue. Should end up being fine -- just a teensy smidge smaller than you intended . You've done such a beautiful job so far -- honestly, I am in AWE -- that the quilt deserves to be finished.

This is a quilt deserving to be finished. I am not one who is always convinced that every quilt should be finished , but yours is too pretty !

It looks beautiful! I would finish it even if it was a bit smaller than planned. Maybe when you finish up you can put on an extra border which will bring it to the size you want and make it more unique and all your own.

I'd finish it using the seams you started with. Consider it a lesson learned for future quilts. BTW, I think your quilt looks great.

Power Poster
    I think you have done a wonderful job. The 1/4 inch seam allowance is important if you are doing different blocks/sashing so they all fit together. If you have started with another seam allowance, then finish with the same allowance. "Don't change horses in the middle of the stream" It is more important to have a consistent seam allowance than the 1/4 inch. From what I can see on your design wall, it is coming together beautifully!

I agree. Your quilt is beautiful. If I was in your shoes, I would finish it with the size seam you have been using. As others have said, it might be just a bit smaller....but still beautiful.

I learn something with every quilt I have made. It is just something that happens.

Dina

Oh don;t stop.It;s beautiful!!!

Blog Entries
    as long as all your seams are the same and everything fits, it should work out. like using the same ruler to cut all your pieces. good luck.

Blog Entries
    i'd continue. it's beautiful
    Nancy in western NY

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast