Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do (why I should always have a plan)? >

What would you do (why I should always have a plan)?

What would you do (why I should always have a plan)?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM

I, too, would do a 2 1/2 to 3 inch sashing in the background fabric. I think it would pull everything together & make it look like all blocks were floating. If you wanted the quilt bigger then you could add a wider border or two. Your blocks are beautiful.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM

might make string sashing from all the fabrics with cornerstones of the various fabrics to pull it all together?
right now it looks like a lot of people claiming to be relatives, and aren't
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 PM

If you look at the picture, here, http://materialgirlquilts.wordpress....e-sampler-qal/ you can see the sashing is definitely not 5 inches each row. Plus if you do the math, the finished quilt is 79.5 square. Four 16" blocks are 64", so 5" sashing would add at least 25".

I've never done a BOM, so I don't know how they do the instructions. I will say your blocks look great!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 PM

I would use black for a narrow sashing. Have you thought about a five minute block done as the sashing down the centres.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 PM

YES, you are right about the one block. Sure is a lot of great work though to only have one error!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 PM

What about black? Since you have all the main colors used in your blocks with a soft yellow background, I am betting a black batik would be the perfect accent for all of the blocks.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 AM

I also vote for soft 2 1/2" yellow sashing and cornerstones of one of the deeper colors in your blocks. You could add two borders; one soft yellow and the outer border can be the same color as your cornerstones, just a bit wider. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 AM
Power Poster

I vote for the yellow background- or pieced sashing with the yellow & colors from the quilt...it is going to be very nice when finished (it is already very nice!)
Old 04-08-2014, 02:57 AM

Your blocks look great! I like it so far!

So - here is another option - I might do a smaller yellow sashing (maybe 2") then use a triple border - 2" yellow, 1-2" Green batik (or another batik that you like from your quilt) and then a 3-4" border of yellow. I would then follow it up with a scrappy binding from everything left over from your blocks if you have a lot a(if not another color from your quilt).

Can not wait to see it finished.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 AM

I would be careful about having the sashing match or be close in color to any of the elements of the squares that touch the sashing. If you use black for example it is going to touch black in some of the squares. Will that compromise the distinct design of the square. You generally use sashing to stop and segment a design. If it's the same color it won't do that. I'm using sashing right now in a quilt between columns that is the same color but it is also a continuation of the design. This is usually not the case when you use sashing.