Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you learn on a mini-retreat? >

What would you learn on a mini-retreat?

What would you learn on a mini-retreat?

Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Default What would you learn on a mini-retreat?

I'm organizing a day mini-retreat. If you were attending, what do you think is "hot topic/technique?"
Old 02-11-2014, 04:03 PM

i think I would poll the attendees before the event. Ask them for two or three things they would like to learn or attempt. l bet they will give you lots of ideas. I love the show and tell at retreats because you see so many different styles and patterns. Perhaps you could ask your attendees to prepare a 10 minute demo of a technique that they have mastered.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM

I agree, I'd ask those attending what they would be most interested in.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

There are so many possibilities, but almost impossible for us to make valid suggestions.

So much depends on the abilities your attendees already have; the facilities you will have available; budgets; numbers involved; does the group want to "learn" or "make"; what has already been done with the group before; the old "traditions" of what is expected ... and so many more variables.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM

There will be 60 attendees. The facilities are 4 classrooms. It is a guild with mixed interests. Last year we had: 1) make a purse, 2) split 9 patch, 3) make a portable design wall, and 4) make an embellished rooster. My question is what is "hot" this year for topics.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Disappearing Pinwheel pattern from MSQC. , 5 or 10 minute blocks or maybe the Dragonfly wallhanging that I posted?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Painting on fabric is really popular. Modern quilting. Jelly roll race. Making fabric baskets or boxes.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Maybe a paper piecing session? For me, it was one of those things that I really needed to see and work 'hands on'. I ended up taking a full day class as that was what was available but I could easily have gotten by with a 1-2 hour session as well. Have not been to a retreat myself so no clue as to 'norms' for them. Not sure if my suggestion fits into that format. Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Demo some of the new rulers available? I know of two that would be fun to do. A rapid fire hunter's star or maybe the 9 degree with its many fun settings.

You could look at the quilt store classes on line and see what fun quick classes they are offering. Not the ones in your area, but on line. Or check at U tube and get some ideas there? They have great mini tuts there that could inspire you.

Oh a mini class on an embroidery project that they could take home with them. Or how about a color and scale class? There are so many ways to present that and help the gals out that struggle with it.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-11-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 AM

I would enjoy a class or two on quick gift ideas. The more unique, the better. One session might be charity ideas - pillowcases, quilts for Linus Project, homeless shelters with ugly quilts, etc.