Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you want to start your sewing/quilting supplies over? >

What would you want to start your sewing/quilting supplies over?

What would you want to start your sewing/quilting supplies over?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:48 AM
Swap Hosts

My heart goes out to Avis - and the wonderful people on the Quilting Board. I lost everything in Superstorm Sandy and wonderful people on QB as well as the Quiltsy group on Etsy came to my rescue. All of the ideas are wonderful ones. Batches of old quilting magazines and books were also much appreciated. For quite a few weeks (and months) my days were filled with gruesome recovery tasks that left me too drained to sew, but I was so grateful to be able to relax a bit in the evenings with some reading materials to take my mind off everything. Sending you a PM so I can help.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
My favorites are:

Clover thin quilting pins
Kai scissors and Kai rotary cutter
Fiskars cutting mat
Creative Grids ruler(s) 12" and 24"
Auriful thread, white and beige
Rowenta iron
homemade iron pad, 30" square

This is very kind of you to help someone in need. I would like to help donate, please pm me.
If possible I would like to donate too, PM me & I can see what extras I have to help out.
1 thing that I have which some may think is a luxury but I am so grateful to have, is a rotating cutting mat. When it comes to squaring up, it does make things sooooo much easier. Kai scissors are the BEST, IMHO. Please let me know if I can help.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by miss_sonja View Post
Ruler and cutting mat. Rotary cutter. Thread selection. Fat quarters. Pattern books.
I agree with all these, especially rotary cutter supplies. But if I only had "X" amount of money to spend, I'd pass in the books, as patterns are now easily found online, and replenish fabric.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would buy credit for her at the local quilt store so she could choose.
"Like".

Buying fabric for someone else is like buying them a purse. Too personal., they need to pick it out.
so sorry to hear about the fire. Glad all are ok.

She would love to shop for her own stuff if. I was to assume. A "Christmas" experience.

sandy
Old 02-20-2014, 05:00 AM

Rotary cutter, mat, scissors, seam ripper, iron and small board, thread (black, white, grey, beige), needles and pins, and fabric. Last things: chocolate and more chocolate. This is my absolute "needs" list. Anything else, to me, is icing on the cupcake.

Good luck to your friend.

Anita
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 AM

I haven't read through all these posts...don't need to... just wanted to say thank you to all of you who are close enough to help! I love quilting... but I LOVE quilters!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 AM

My favorite tool is the Fons and Porter 1/4" ruler for half square triangles. I gave my longer one to a neighbor for starting quilting and not that I regret doing that, but I sure would like to have a longer one. Another thing is Post it notes, tiny ones to pin onto the fabric after you have cut to mark the sizes of the squares , an orange stick for flattening the seams when you are sewing squares together, a marking pen (ink disappears) for diagonal cuts, little piddly tools that I put in my basket. Oh yah, neutral (ecru or beige) thread for sewing squares together, extra bobbins, I could go on forever. A needle threader, a leather thimble. That's it, my brain is strained. Big Storm a'comin' today. Had to go out early and get my good bad storm food. You know, Popcorn, strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter. No ice cream!!!!!! And for dinner tonight? Pork Chops, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. That's good bad storm weather food. Hunker down, Midwest, we are in for a doozie - St. Paul is going to get around 10" on top of the six we just got. Stay warm. Edie
Old 02-20-2014, 06:42 AM

As well as the gift certificate to the lqs get one for the local Joanns or Walmart or wherever she can get some of her supplies and save a little toward fabric etc. Please PM me; I'd like to help directly. I've accumulated lots of duplicates over the years and can't think of better place for them.
If there is an address where things can be sent, my guild has a central person who sends out cards for condolences, happy times, etc. When one of our members has a situation like this, we send what we call squishies - a fat quarter or something that can be easily mailed. When there are lots participating, it can mount up really fast. It does require someone willing to give a name and address where the items can be sent or her permission to send them wherever she can pick up mail. Joyce in DE
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM

I have read many of the responses to this question and I agree with most. One additional thing that I find useful is access to the internet. Now, I know that is not tucked away in your stash but if you can offer her and hour or two a week to access other quilters online, it is a gift that will not cost you much.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I would give a gift card that can be used anywhere. I give the VISAs out for gifts. That way she can choose. If you belong to a guild everyone could make a donation and give it to her. Maybe donate a few scraps to help her get back on track. All the fabric shops have beginners quilt kits with cutting mats, rotary cutter, ruler and seam ripper. They all vary.