Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Would Be Your Ideal Dream Space For Sewing and Quilting >

What Would Be Your Ideal Dream Space For Sewing and Quilting

What Would Be Your Ideal Dream Space For Sewing and Quilting

Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm happy with my sewing area, I have two adjoining rooms with big walk in closet. We will sell our house pretty soon and a sewing area will be my priority as a shop will be DH's. I don't care about the rest of the house as long as it's pretty and well built.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have my quilting studio in my Living room too. I don't care for lots of lighting because that generates so much heat. I am happy to have what I have.
LED lights do not generate heat enough to notice.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM

I just got my dream space last year. It's in the basement, but it's big, has lots of recessed lights, a painted floor (easy to Swiffer!), and has a lot of storage. After I set up my machine and got a large design wall set up (2 4x8 foam sheets with batting over them), I unexpectedly got a sit-down machine for quilting. My space is maxed out now. I wish it was bigger, but that's being very ungrateful.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:09 PM

If I had all the money in the world I would get Pete Nelson (of Treehouse Masters fame) to build me a treehouse sewing studio. It would have to have enough room for a long arm, several machines, at least two design walls, lots of storage space, a place for a computer and a double sink for dying fabric. I'd want hot and cold running water, heat and air, a powder room, comfortable seating for when I hand sew and solar panels. Of course I'd have to buy a new property where I had trees big enough to put a treehouse in, but I think that would be fun. Zozee's cleaning and organizing fairy (or her cousin, so I don't take hers) would be great, too.

Last edited by bjchad; 06-09-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Look on the mission organization thread on this board. There are a lot of posts showing quilting spaces. We moved and I finally have a room of my own. Small but that's okay. I keep what I am not working on in the basement on shelves. It is walkout so get outside air now and then. We keep a moisture meter in there too.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:30 PM

Oh my, where to begin. I guess I really would like a room to devote to sewing. Right now I am sewing in the dining room and cutting on my kitchen island. I have to set up and take down the ironing board to press. I would love for this to all be done in ONE room. I feel scattered with this current method but its functional.

I would also like to be able to set up a desk or some sort of table to put my Janome sewing machine on as I currently have it on the dining room table.

Oh to dream.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:36 PM

Aqua would be my color. I would have a sewing table just the right height. I would get a cabinet for my big machine and use my small table for my small machine and I would have a dedicated ironing surface I didn't have to take down. I would also if it fit have a small midarm, nothing too big
Old 06-09-2016, 03:44 PM

When I bought my house 5 years ago, one of the requirements was a large sewing room, and I have it. My parrot and I share the sewing room ... it is 20 feet wide by 40 feet long .... half the house ... it's in the basement.

My only wish? That I didn't have to put everything away at night ... but alas, when you share a room with an African Grey, who is flighted and NOT caged during the day ... EVERYTHING goes away, or it becomes hers!

If I ever had the money for a long arm quilting machine, I even have room for that!
Old 06-09-2016, 05:52 PM

1. space for an Ironing board
2. a TV

I am happier since taking one of the bedrooms it is 12" x 14" so there is room for almost every thing.
I have since added curtains on the closet doors. I get the morning sun the window faces the east.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]551928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]551929[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_1746.jpg   100_1743.jpg   100_1744.jpg  
Old 06-09-2016, 09:00 PM

With kids grown and out of the house, I'm fortunate to have a bedroom to sew in and the long arm in the basement. I have knee problems and only wish that they were in the same room and on the main floor--but maybe dragging myself up and down stairs will keep me moving! I do wish in the sewing room (my DD's old bedroom) I had space for a tv, but I'm doing fine without it. Now, for that cleaning fairy.....