Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of? >

What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of?

What would your ultimate He-Man super masculine quilt consist of?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:47 PM

Each of my guys likes different things. One likes black and white, one prefers wolves, another football, another dragons, another will take "whatever you decide", hubby likes classic cars or motorcycles and my brother likes hunting and fishing. So there's no single answer in my family!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM

My oldest son is in the Air Force. The military has rules about wearing the flag or using the flag as a bed covering, but I think I can get around that.

I'd like to make a mosaic American flag using different red and whitish patches with various prints to make the stripes. The blue field would be various blue patches with random star patterns. I'd like the backing to be the same camo pattern of his duty uniform. It's not exactly the flag, but patriotic and not "sissified". He could use whichever side he wanted on his bed or hang it on his wall.

Guns or gun logos and various targets(sillouettes, animals, zombies-lol?) would be a manly quilt.

Cigars?

Military vehicles? I used to fix fighter jets in the Air Force.

Nascar?

Weapons? (guns, knives, swords, cross bows, tomahawks, etc...)

Farming? (tractors, gardening, scarecrows, farm tools)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Neesie, i love those fabrics, green is my favorite. Hope u post pictures of your quilt!
Old 04-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Nessie those are really pretty greens to work with. My he- man would love them.

What if the he- man was a pianist, doctor, tree surgeon, pilot, chef, teacher, janitor...........

My he-man loves gardening and flowers, running, cycling, birding, bodybuilding, kayaking and reading.

Just go with what your he- man likes, what ever it is.

They are all he- men, uber masculine. Guns and wild animals don't make all men.

peace

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: remove reference to original post term
Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

My husband snatched a Bento Box quilt I was making for charity-- in lavender, purples and blues, no less! So don't assume you know what they like until they tell you.

I made a Civil War log cabin quilt for one of my grown sons, and a quilt with large churn dash blocks made out of old shirts for the other. No "pictures" on any of them.

The best thing to do is find out what they like before starting.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 PM

I think if you know the man well you will also know his likes and dislikes. What colors he wears will show you what he prefers. But for the "man cave", it may all be sports = golf, basketball, football, baseball, whatever. But how many men really have a man cave after they are married 40-50 years. Then they sit with us in the family room.
Anything goes then. Have fun with any one you pick.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

I made my dh a log cabin in darker colors. I live on Long Island NY and we don't
do much of the camo stuff, mostly kids like that. we do hunt here, but not like the
do in the south or west.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:31 PM

Sorry everyone, but I had to laugh as I read this :-) Personally, I don't think what we're drawn to has much to do with gender- we all have those color combinations we're drawn to- and these vary all the time, sometimes novelty prints catch our eye, and sometimes not; solids, prints, organics - traditional, contemporary, modern, retro. For me it depends on the day and the mood I'm in: my approach is to almost always ask, ask, ask questions until I have a good idea of what will appeal to the person, especially if they don't have a particular design or color combination picked out.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:51 AM

I like this thread, from the comments we all like different things. I like all kinds of quilts even theme quilts. My favorite is Crazy Quilts but one of these days I want to make myself a Mack Trucks themed quilt.

This deer quilt was made for me 98"x104" (I didn't have the time to make it) to raffle on a mostly male forum on line. From the comments from them when the raffle starts it should do well. I wouldn't have made it for myself I don't hunt, but I do like it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]515810[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 02:55 AM

The manly men in my life all have very different taste but the camo, hunting/fishing theme wouldn't appeal to any of them as a quilt. I do notice they all have a preference for designs that are more graffic and pastel colours do not seem to have any appeal at all.
I get a kick out of theme fabrics and like them for backings and pillow backings and bag linings, they are fun and make me smile. You can call it tacky but I'll think of it as being in touch with my inner child and my manly men smile along with me.