Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What year is it? >

What year is it?

What year is it?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 AM

I have a question and hope someone can help.... I have search everythings on the nets looking for informations ..... we have sold our house and was cleaning out the garage we ran across an old singer sewing machine in the back shelf on wall with a tan case and dark brown botton the only things is does not have a letter before the serial number so can someone help me please the serial nu. is 9127088 p.s. in process of cleaning the machine any help would be appreactiated ty
Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

i couldn't really tell from their website. here is a link to their contact page. if you call or email them, they will tell you the details of your machine. http://www.singerco.com/contact-us
Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Right, just go to Singer, they can tell.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i couldn't really tell from their website. here is a link to their contact page. if you call or email them, they will tell you the details of your machine. http://www.singerco.com/contact-us
TY am trying to call them no reply .... Look at serial nu. myself saying this was made in 1889 but to no avail no infro, so far ty for ur wonderful help
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Yes, 1889 appears to be correct. It's probably put into a more modern case, as the cases from that time were wooden.

Can you post some pictures of it here? I'm sure that we can identify it for you if we can see it.

There weren't a whole lot of choices as to what it could be from that year. :)
Old 07-12-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Yes, 1889 appears to be correct. It's probably put into a more modern case, as the cases from that time were wooden.

Can you post some pictures of it here? I'm sure that we can identify it for you if we can see it.

There weren't a whole lot of choices as to what it could be from that year. :)
I would love to post a pic but,,, things that I need are still pack as we have moved into our new home and boy oh boy am I ever thankful for all y`all help! but will be posting a pic as soon as we get all this unpack I am still having nightmare over seeing how much we have accumalated.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Is the tension mechanism on the front or the back left side of the machine?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 PM

TY all very much have talk to a singer repairman and he inform me that it was a treadle at one time and made into electric but who am I to disagree ... he say it worthless so who know but I like it look so that what really matter I suppose ..Again I would like to ty all who participated in helping me Thank you! and may god bless
Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM

Talk to Lostn51 - Billy - on this board before you decide to get rid of the machine (if you can't find a better repairman!).

Billy specializes in the older machines, including ones converted to electric from treadle, and he can help you out on some of your questions. We have run into a lot of "repairmen" that really don't like to work on the older machines - they get commissions on the new ones, not the old ones. Consequently, they will badmouth the old machines, hoping to either sell you a new one or get the old one very cheaply (so they can repair it and make $$$$$ off of it for themselves).

Good luck. When you get a chance, post the photo so we can all admire with you.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by VickyS
Talk to Lostn51 - Billy - on this board before you decide to get rid of the machine (if you can't find a better repairman!).

Billy specializes in the older machines, including ones converted to electric from treadle, and he can help you out on some of your questions. We have run into a lot of "repairmen" that really don't like to work on the older machines - they get commissions on the new ones, not the old ones. Consequently, they will badmouth the old machines, hoping to either sell you a new one or get the old one very cheaply (so they can repair it and make $$$$$ off of it for themselves).

Good luck. When you get a chance, post the photo so we can all admire with you.
:thumbup: TY I don`t plan on getting rid of it but am glad to hear there is another opinions and I do like it.... the base of the machine is curvy front and back and the bobbin plate is up and down toward u not sidewide and it a rocket bobbin case it has a electric plug in for a light fixture attach and the bottom of the machine doesn`t look like a treadle machine to me I have 3 of them pass down from familys member that has pass ,, so I am in very much in doubt of his motive or opinions ,,,,when things are unpack I will be placing a pic of the machine for all to see she dirty but am trying to clean mahine now clean the case and again ty for ur time and concern ty ,,,,