Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it that you do?? >

What is it that you do??

What is it that you do??

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM

I think that it does not seem to make any if my seams are "callywankus". After the batting and backing and quilting are done then it makes no difference. Stop stressing!!!!!!! DDo a good pressing.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

Very interesting to see everyone's ideas
Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
I piece in a two blocks then four blocks pattern rather than in rows. It makes matching/abutting those seams between blocks easier when I'm not trying to get them to match all the way across a long row. Then I press the seams of the "four patch" so they go in a circular motion.

At the last I have only one long row to sew to complete the quilt.

Jan in VA
This is the way I sometimes do it but you must be careful not to get blocks turned wrong way. .
Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Do any of you have quilt making specialites? I may have worded that wrong but I'll explain. We have friends in our little town who also make and sell quilts. One makes the most beautiful crazy quilts with velvet,lace,ribbons,they are truly works of art. So when someone come in wanting a crazy quilt I reccomend her cause I know I'm not as good as she is. I have another that has all the equipment for photgraph quilts,another that is great at stained glass quiltsand celtic quilts. We specialize in tradional and applique. So we all reccomend each other.Do you'all do the so with each other in your quilt circle?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:38 AM

It all depends on the next row on witch way it's laying.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 AM

I just change direction, but then I'm hand-piecing so that I don't sew the seams all the way to the edge anyway. You've made me realise that this will be an issue when I try machine-piecing, which I'm thinking of doing for a charity quilt currently in the works. I suppose I could always mark up the diagram with the seam pressing directions again, it's something I do with complicated piecing (like the quilt in my avatar).
Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 AM

I really try to make the seams nest ... but if they don't want to ... I let them be, and move on to the next step.
There are too many patterns and project waiting to waste time on one with a will of its own ....:)