Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are you making for Holiday gift giving? >

What are you making for Holiday gift giving?

What are you making for Holiday gift giving?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:01 PM

Found insts for CW X-mas ornaments, just needed to read further
Will try one tonite, they are beautiful
Old 12-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Hi. I downloaded the pictures of the Cathederal Window Christmas Ornaments. They are beautiful. Do you have written instructions that you would share? Thanks for you attention to my question. Donna
Old 12-09-2006, 06:44 PM

Your quilt is stunning....one day I am going to make something as awesome as this. Love the corner stones you placed through out. Have to agree on the quilting, it really did justy to this quilt.
How long have you been quilting.....wish I had sit with my grandmother and learned more as a child. However don't think I would have ever started making quilts had it not been for machine sewing.
Beth
Old 12-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Hi Beth: Nice hearing from you. I've been quilting just a short time...seriously for 2 years however, I made my first quilt at about age 12 and I still have it! My mom was great at helping us learn all the stuff she felt we would need to know when we grew up. This included sewing, cooking and quilting. I was never very good or very interested in quilting but i did alot of clothing construction for many years then one day someone invited me to a quilt meeting and almost immediately I was hooked. Like yours, my grandmother made beautiful quilts and rugs and I'd love to have her sitting next to me teaching me her tips but she died when I was 7 . Now all I can do is learn my own tips, remember the ones mom taught me and maybe pass them on the our grandbabies.

Hope you share some of your projects so I can see what you are making. If you get really close up to my quilt it isn't perfect (my quilt teacher says if you can see the mistakes while galloping past the quilt on a speedy horse STOP and fix the error. If you can't see the mistake while on a galloping horse, is it REALLY a mistake?" That works for me. I just love it and feel proud that this is the first really big quilt I've made...and I love how it turned out. I find I'm truly crazy about making scrap quilts and I'm loving applique...still need practice but the applique is getting easier and better with each project. I'm with you...I have arthritis in my hands and I DON"T DO handquilting. Machine quilting works for me.

Happy quilting/sewing and have a great holiday season.
Randy
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Boo

Randy, I love your quilt :!: This is not a pattern I ever considered making, but after seeing yours it is now on my list. I keep collecting scraps from the shop, some of our customers actually throw them away! Can you believe it??? I am so notorious for grabbing scraps out of the trash, that now many actually hand them to me. :lol: I love scrappy quilts!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM

Scraps R ME! My quilt teacher saves all of her leftovers for me so I have an infinite supply but always feel like I just hit the Mother Lode when someone brings in a bag or box of scraps. I use them and love them just like they were yards of fabric! I'm glad you liked my quilt. It was fun, easy and I'll probably make another for my sister. Other wonderful patterns I've made are Drunkard's Path, Flower Garden Trellis, 2 for 1 Stars, Floating Stars and lots of child quilts which were fun. The Hexagon Stars Quilt is one I won't make again...couldn't keep the points pointy on the stars and it was done on point and was a puzzle trying to get the sides even and nice!. Too many other beautiful patterns to do without using those that are so time and work intensive just to have them mediocre when finished.

Today I'm baking Christmas cookies...my other passion and love.

Keep warm, keep quilting and have a great holiday!
Randy
Old 12-13-2006, 03:40 AM

The Cathedral Window Christmas tree ornaments are LOVELY !!! I started a Cathedral Window quilt...ended up with one pillow - completed the pillow and AM PROUD OF IT !!! Found out the quilt was too much of an undertaking. With the pillow, at least the piece is not stuck in some drawer somewhere, lost and forgotten.

May try the ornaments....AWESOME !!!!

This Christmas I completed a quilt - Irish Chain with Toile as my focus fabric - for my oldest daughter. Can hardly wait for her to see it. Picture attached

Close-up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6754[/ATTACH]

Irish Chain in Toile
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50738[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-6754.jpe   attachment-50738.jpe  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:50 AM

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!

Judyjo
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 AM

awesome work
Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 AM

That's beatitful. She'll love it.