Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 AM

WOW I too am surprised at those who don't love their Accuquilt Go. I love mine I probably don't use it as much as I should but if all I use it for it rag quilts, it's wonderful. Penny Halgren (I forget how her name is spelled) I got caught up in how to sell online or something like that, to the tune of $300.00 I got 1 & 2 and cancelled for 3. Anybody interested in that? I hate it when I make big mistakes!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I use band aids for my sewing thimbles. I don't use a thimble often or for long so using a band aid really works well for me. Now if I were to do a lot of hand stitching I would get a leather one, well I have a leather one.lol
I do a fair amount of hand applique and am in love with the suede disks that glue on to your finger tips and can be reused (for several times)....so this thread begs the question....what do you think was a great buy?
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 AM

For me it was the Accuquilt system, spent a lot on it and extra cutting templates before I realized what a dud it was, SOLD IT!!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 AM

It would be worth learning to thread those sergers. I couldn't live without mine!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I echo some of the above: specialized rulers, marking pens, etc. But I think I've wasted a lot of money on books -- and some of them were a pretty price. I love to look at them and read some of the basic information, but I've hardly ever used an actual pattern in any one of them.
Same for me. Last year I donated a TON of quilting and knitting books to a used book store. The owner told me she didn't even have a craft section until my donations!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
The tool to put binding on, by martelli, I think. Can't figure out how they did it do easy!
I agree it looked so easy .. but mine is in the original box... maybe it will have value someday as a vintage tool in original condition.!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
I agree with knismith. I have too many specialized rulers that looked really good in the demo, but I never used. My other waste is marking pencils. I am still looking for the perfect pencil and it's not in my collection.
Ditto I have soo many markers and pencils. I find myself going back to plain chalkboard chalk and a regular pencil. although the silver pencil gets used a bit.
The little F and P applicator with the colored chalk in it wasn't a good idea . I used the red and it never did come out of my quilting gloves. What a mess.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I once bought a really nice serger at a 50% discount on the last day of the International Quilt Festival in Houston.
Never could really figure out how to thread it unless I was following the video, though I did use it one time to make a jacket of vintage barkcloth with antique buttons. But eventually, through divorce, moves, updating equipment, I lost the ability to watch video cassettes. It has became the most expensive paper weight I've ever owned.

Jan in VA
Maybe the machine manufacturer has instructions online?? I rarely use mine, but I love it to make "drag rags" (Fleece baby blankies that parents can drag anywhere without fear!!). Just zip around the edge to give it a little finish! They are a bear to re-thread!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 AM

Several in my church sewing groups had sergers and never used them. We tried selling at a big yard sale with no buyers. All said they would not use or had one they couldn't get rid of. Do know some sewing stores will thread them for you if you bring them in - at a fee of course. Most said besides hard to operate they disliked the cost of thread. Specialty rulers are fine is you do use them, I don't. Same with patterns, why buy when they are free online.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Mine was a Grace quilting frame. Cost over $500.00 & got it on sale as they are a lot more. Have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Professionel machine & they don't like each other. Can't seem to get the rhytum down to make machine work right. Can work faster with machine off the frame. Was an expensive lesson.