Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was your biggest waste of money? >

What was your biggest waste of money?

What was your biggest waste of money?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM

Default What was your biggest waste of money?

I am about to go to PIQF (Pacific International Quilt Fest) in a few days. Not only does it have spectacular quilts, but the largest collection of vendors under one roof. I have read about all of the best purchases and tools quilters have obtained, but what was the one purchase you would NEVER make again?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 AM

I have an Accuquilt Go Baby that I have tried to use twice and I just don't like it. I definitely would not buy this too again.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 AM

My husband insisted on buying the AccuGo. Used it to make one quilt and probably won't use it again unless it's for cutting strips. I really like it for that one thing.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 AM

hmmmm....
I have learned to REALLY consider a specialized ruler of any kind before buying. I have so many that I haven't even used. So now when I am at shows, I ask for the business card, write the booth number and name/description of what I think I want. After the shopping part of the show, if I really want it, I go back. If I am not sure, then I don't buy it. I do, however, still have their info in case I change my mind after I get home.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 AM

I bought the super slider FM thing, it just didn't work for me. I wasted my money there.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 AM

teflon pressing sheet,and the pounce thing for marking quilts. never used the [pounce and the teflon sheet was so stiff and then wrinkled and is useless.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:30 AM

All kinds of specialized rulers were a waste for me. Go with the best set of basic standard rulers including the huge square. I use about 5 all the time.

I cannot use the Angle sheet that was supposed to help sew diagonals. I found that marking was easier for me.

Fancy circle sewing foot. It needed an attachment for my machine so was twice as expensive. I might have used it once.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 AM

I agree with knismith. I have too many specialized rulers that looked really good in the demo, but I never used. My other waste is marking pencils. I am still looking for the perfect pencil and it's not in my collection.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I think the Pounce was my big waste. I do have rulers, but, use all of them one time or place or another except for the triangle ones. Not yet!!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 AM

Wow. I have several things (circle sewing foot, specialized rulers) that I've not really made good use of. I keep telling myself though that I was a smart consumer, as I bought these at "past" prices, and when I someday actually do use them they will cost more than when I bought them. Rationalization is one of my strong points .