Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book? >

What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Default What is Your Favorite Beginner Quilting Book?

I'm going to be teaching my Beginner Quilting Class again soon at my shop. While I've never used a book for the class, I would like have some basic books on hand for my students in case they would like a reference book. I'm looking for something that covers all the basic steps in making your first projects - piecing, quilting, binding - not just one particular quilt. So what are your favorite beginner books??
Old 01-08-2012, 06:37 AM

My first quilt book was by Eleanor Burns and was spiral bond. It was recommended by a quilt store, because I had to wait 2 months to take their beginning quilting class. I had just dropped off my only child, a son, at college for his freshman year and needed something to do to fight the empty nest syndrome. I started quilting that day in 2001 and made a Ohio star quilt. I don't know the name of the book because I loaned it to a sister-in-law and never got it back. It featured 3 quilts and I think "Trio" was in the title.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:04 AM

I've been quilting for awhile but recently (on the board) someone mentioned Harriet Hargrave's 4 books, "Quilter's Academy" Vol.1, 2, 3, and 4. Volume 1 starts out with the basics and each book after that expands on the things you learned in the previous volumes. They are excellent for explaining things and have several quilts in each book that a beginner/novie can make.

I'm also a fan of Eleanore Burn's books and videos for beginners. She gives great instructions.

The first block that I made was the Ohio Star and I can remember how proud I was of that block. I think I love the block simply because it was the first one that I made and it looked great. :-)

Another good book is Fon's and Porter's "Quilter's Complete Guide". My edition is one of the first editions and I noticed that they now have a new (different) cover on the book but I imagine that the information inside the book is the same.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

The red covered book- "Your first Quilt book or it should be " by Carol Doaks was the first one I bought
Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM

Wow what some good books listed for beginners. Wish I had taken the time to read a book or take classes when I first started. Everything I did for a while was trial and error, mostly error. Your thoughts about having beginner books on hard for class members to buy is an excellent idea.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

the holy bible of quilt books...Fons and Porters guide to quilting!
I have taught beginner classes for year and this is still THE #1 book beginner's go to! Especially the spiral bound version!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
the holy bible of quilt books...Fons and Porters guide to quilting!
I have taught beginner classes for year and this is still THE #1 book beginner's go to! Especially the spiral bound version!
What's the exact title, please? I just looked at their website and there are tons of books.

Thanks.

Jane
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM

My favorite is : "The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book"by Mary Ellen Hopkins. She covers the basics in the first section then has lots of beautiful color pictures of different types of quilts, with the instructions. I like her "down to earth" approach which makes quilting seem so much more do-able for a beginner.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:53 AM

IMHO, check out your library. Type in "beginner quilting", and see what comes up. Our library has literally hundreds of quilting books on the shelves. I recently made a quilt for my son from a pattern in one of the books. I am a rookie quilter myself. mary
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JaneH View Post
What's the exact title, please? I just looked at their website and there are tons of books.

Thanks.

Jane
Jane, I think this might be the one http://www.amazon.com/Quilters-Compl.../dp/0848724666

I just love your avatar