Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite part of making the quilt? >

What is your favorite part of making the quilt?

What is your favorite part of making the quilt?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:13 AM

Default What is your favorite part of making the quilt?

My favorite is doing the top. I love the planning and cutting out the pieces, then sewing them together.
I have a lot of tops just waiting to be finished.
Tell me what y'all's favorite part is....
Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Ditto. I like the creative part too, that is design and choosing the fabric. Piecing is OK but I hate the pressing. I am fortunate to have others quilt my charity quilt, but I don't like trying to piece the backings!!
Old 10-30-2015, 04:44 AM

My favorite is piecing the top too. I hate making the quilt sandwich, and am not too fond of quilting either. I do like to hand sew the binding on though. I used to beg my husband to quilt for me so I could spend all my time making tops. He wasn't interested, he liked to read.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:50 AM

The tops for sure! I do love to hand quilt but with a group. I don't own and do not want to own a long arm machine. I feel I can send out a lot of quilts to be quilted with the cost of one of those. Lol
Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 AM

I enjoy the whole process, but must say I'm always glad to be done with the sandwiching as my back protests vigorously the whole time. I love a bit of a challenge and learning new things. Love the actual quilting of the quilt once it's sandwiched and playing around with color and texture on my quilts. I get quite adventurous at times... :-) I love piecing; I also love taking a flat panel and making the designs really pop with the quilting. I really love it all! :-) I guess in all honesty, I just love being creative!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 AM

I enjoy almost all of it ('almost' because I am *not* a fan of sandwiching), and my favourite stage tends to vary a bit with my mood - sometimes you are just in the mood for cutting, or in the mood for fiddly piecing (strangely, I've yet to be in the mood for a bit of seam-ripping, but you never know LOL).

My absolute favourite bits are probably the daydreaming/planning at the beginning, the piecing once it is started and I can start to see a quilt emerging - tho I tend to lose steam in the middle (when it is in most danger of becoming a UFO) and then (assuming I persevere) get 'second wind' at it when I get close enough that I can see what the final top will be like. I love the hand-quilting (I don't FMQ, tho I have had a few LA'd, which is more of an instant buzz), and actually really enjoy binding.

So, most of it? LOL
Old 10-30-2015, 05:30 AM

Selecting my fabric.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I love the quilting part, but only because I have a longarm. Before that, I disliked sandwiching and quilting. Now the part I like the least is making the back. It seems that I just finish the top and suddenly it occurs to me that the quilt needs a back too. If I have a big piece in my stash that matches really well, I use that, but otherwise I usually try to piece the back from leftover fabric, and that can take as long as making the top.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:32 AM

all of it. from designing, fabric choices during design process ...planning the quilting motif as the blocks are sewn & joined, right on thru to last stitch in binding, the excitement & anticipation just keeps growing, until i finally get to hang, admire, call the hubs, he admires, brag picture taken and sent off to friends. ..i love to quilt
Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I have to say I like all of it. Don't do enough of it. ADD kicks in and I get overwhelmed.