Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is your favorite PFD fabric for hand dyeing?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I am just itching to hand dye as soon as the weather gets a little warmer...this will be my first attempt. I'm going to use Procion dyes from Dharma Trading and have read their PFD muslin is a good choice. I've also read good things about P&B textiles PFD but haven't found a good online source to purchase it.

Any other suggestions or prepared for dyeing fabrics you've had good experiences with? (Pictures are welcomed and encouraged!)

I've used Dharma's pfd fabric, it's good
    cotton sateen is real good
    mercerized cotton is not, unbleached muslin and some bleached is not
    the white fabric from connrcting threads is not, it looks like the wrong side of the fabric on both sides! it's great if you need a good white fabric tho.
    are you going for solid/even dyes or the mottled batik look?
    there are a lot of free instructions online, some at dharma
    have fun and remember... safety first, DO NOT BREATH THE DYE POWDER

Blog Entries
    I get the bleached muslin from Dharma by the bolt! Love it and it really dyes up great, (the fabrics in my avatar quilt are all my hand dyed)

Kona solids PFD from Hancock's of Paducah is what I get. They have 45" and 60" wide in the Kona 60 square (60x60 threads), plus Moda 60 square (the same as Moda Bella solids), and also Kaufmans Pimatex (a 211 thread that compliments most commercial hand dyes). Mercerized fabric is best; deeper color. Unmercerized fabric dyes up much paler even with the exact same dye mix. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...h-PFD--srcin-1

that sure sounds like fun

i'm really (itching) to get some fab's dyed too...been collecting supplies...wishing for spring :thumbup:
    i like the PFD's from Dharma's too - you can get the fabric used for batiks from them too.
    i also like the PFD's from fabric.com...i buy by the bolt from them. :thumbup:

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Oooh thanks for all the the tips, I'm going to have to do some shopping.

Leaha the quilt in your avatar looks great - the colors are really vibrant and that's what I'm going for.

Kathy I'm really into the somewhat mottled batik look. What's most important to me is intensity of the colors. I have noticed some dyes don't seem to come out really vibrant and I'm wondering if that is an issue with fabric, application, quality of dyes, or mixing?