Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your first quilt memory? >

What is your first quilt memory?

What is your first quilt memory?

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 AM

My grandma's puffy tied quilts - they weren't pieced. They were used on beds and we also slept on top of them on the floor when we stayed overnight.

The first pieced quilt I loved was my friend's double wedding ring quilt. Her grandma made it from my friend's outgrown clothing. We were in 4th grade when I saw it and fell in love with it.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 AM

My grandmother had a quilting frame up on the ceiling in the parlor! Never saw it used but she had lots of quilts we slept on and under. Feather beds & quilts always remind me of Grandma!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 AM

I remember being with my Grandma Ruth and my Great Grandma Grace, at their quilting bee's, I liked to sit under that huge frame all the ladies sat around and watch how their hands move the needles under the frame. I must have been really young to be able to sit upright under there. LOL
Old 05-12-2015, 07:32 AM

My DGM lived on a farm in rural Montana. She made quilts from men's old suits,used a sheep fleece for batting,and tied them with red yarn. When I went to bed,there was no moving about,but I was warm!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 AM

Like some of you our bed's were covered with quilts always. But my memory of them was seeing my DM and DGM setting and piecing by hand and setting around a quilting frame. My DGF raised the cotton they used as batting and I remember watching them on their hand and knees combing and getting as many seeds as possible out. I can still remember the smell of a fresh new quilt on my bed.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Oh both of my grandmothers' houses. My paternal grandmother did some quilting but favorite thing was tatting, knitting and crocheting. She used to make lacy coverlets for the top of her bed. My aunt got those and she still has them. Sadly a tablecloth never survived. Loved to watch her. My maternal did a lot of machine quilting. Her summer quilts were without a middle layer. Her other quilts many quilted by hand and pieced by her machine. She did a few crazy quilts out of clothes. I'm sure many went to one aunt who complained about having nothing all the time. Oh well! Loved spending nights at my grandparents. No one understood why. I got pampered for goodness sake! I am one of the few who was fortunate to know both of my grandparents on both sides. Pampered to me was sitting on their laps and being told stories and just helping with little things. I had a very close relationship with both sides.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:58 AM

We always had a variety of quilts in the house. The first quilt I remember as mine, I was pribably about 6 it was a Dutch doll (now called sun bonnet sue) little floral dressands asked in blue and it was tied with yarn. I'm pretty sure my maternal grandmother made it. I also remember making scrap quilts from fabric sample books cutting the card board off and sewing them together. Mom was an acomplished seamstress that made drapes, bed spreads and slip covers for a living so we always had outdated sample books to play with. I also made arbie cloths and blankets from those books.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

My first memory was not your regular quilt. My mother would take old worn out blankets and tie them together with yarn. All the kids (five of us) loved these blankets (quilts). I remember my DGM had quilt tops that my sister took. I don't remember ever seeing my DGM quilting but the tops had to come from somewhere. My husband remembers sitting under the quilt frame watching the needles go in and out of the quilt. He said that sometimes he helped to push the needle. (At least he said he helped.) BrendaK
Old 05-12-2015, 08:39 AM

One on my first memories is playing paper dolls under the quilt my Grandmother and Aunts were hand quilting. My sister and I would play all day under there, listing to family and town stories. lol We didnt like it when they would start rolling the quilt in to the center. Cut down our play space.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
When I was a little girl, our beds were covered with quilts during the winter. They were made from big blocks of wool and tied with crochet thread. After it became too warm in the spring for a quilt, mama would always have us lift the mattress off the bed and layer the quilts on top of the springs for storage. In the late fall when it started to turn colder, we would bring them back out to be used again. What is your first memory of a quilt?
i had never heard of doing that... what a great idea