Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"? >

What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"?

What is your opinion on "Quilt Kits"?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM

I have bought many many kits from CT and have never been disappointed. As a relatively new quilter, I especially buy the clearance ones as they give me practice for all the different skills of piecing and applique. Many have been under $10 and I could not have found all of the fabric and pattern for that price. I will continue to order as well as picking out my own patterns and fabrics. Great wall hangings, table toppers, and throws.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM

I'd rather do my own. They invariably have too little fabric or too much fabric, or ugly fabric etc. It's cheaper to do one's own.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM

I try to buy quilt kits. I'm not good at picking fabric and usually if I'm attracted to a kit, it's because of the colors and that's why I want it. I've bought from Keepsake quilting and Connecting Threads with no problems and adequate material. No more kits from Joann's-cuts are not good
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM

I bought my first one last week and received it yesterday. It was from Fat Quarter Shop and I ordered the kit because I didn't want to try to find all the fabrics I needed. It is a quilt for my 2-year old GS called "Spot's Favorite Colors" and I wanted the quilt to look exactly like the picture I saw. I really don't mind if it will be made by many others. That's unusual for me because I'm a big fan of scrap quilts. I haven't checked everything yet, but I'm really hoping I have the correct amounts of fabric.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM

Love the colors and log cabins are a favorite of mine. I find it so much easier to get all the colors at once, the way you want them. Keepsake Quilting has good kits and I bought one of their fat quarter medleys for Yellow Brick Road and was so pleased with the fabrics. I haven't made a scrap quilt yet, the challenge of picking colors would be ttoo much for me.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM

I have purchased a few quilt kits when there is a technique or a particular type of fabric that I want to experience using. Today I bought one of the Gee's Bend Quilt kits at my local Quilting store. I want to focus on the techniques and idea of the quilt and use this for later quilts of my own design. This way I also probably save money because when I make my own designs I purchase way more fabric than I actually need because I don't decide ahead of time - rather I like to have a lot to choose from as I go. So - occasionally, yes, I buy a quilt kit for these reasons. Sometimes it is just really great to focus on the techniques and construction and not have to worry about the fabrics. I swear I save money this way.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM

I purchased several quilt kits when I first started quilting. I just haven't made any of them yet. They do look very nice on the shelf in my closet though! I really do want to make them but my nieces and nephews keep having babies that need quilts and it's never ending to keep the craft shop supplied. Someday.....

Actually, my avatar is from a kit.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM

I bought a couple of kits and did not much care for the fabrics and found that several of the patterns less than clear. Now I just buy the pattern and raid my stash and I am much happier.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM

I would not hesitate to buy a kit from Connecting Threads. The kits are priced reasonably, going by the regular cost of material you recieve and the pattern is given to you. The fabric quality is great. The cost of their material is low. I would say it is a great value!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:07 PM

I ordered a kit from Connecting Threads and was very satisfied with it. The fabric was same as pictured, the yardage was very generous. I also like their thread.