Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Default What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

My dh seen fabric at wally world and thought that was something I would like to look at! Bless his heart
So I am always game to go to a fabric department, it was nice, not sure about the quality of the fabric though? Any opinions on this? Has anyone bought much there?
Here is mine
Fabric-not sure
Service-not great
Appearance-looks great

I did buy some Christmas fabric on clearance and some other material to make a quick quilt that didn't look to bad..
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 PM

I have bought a couple of fabric from my Wal-Mart. One was light for a changing table pad for my DD's baby doll. It was the quality from other fabric stores (not LQS though). However, I did buy some heavy fabric for some curtains and I must say I was impressed. It was just $7/yd but durable. However, my store has several colors but nothing that I like...lol. Nice size selection, but poor choices, at least to me. They do not carry Minky or anything related. I have gotten some interfacing from them.

As for the service, I always have to have someone call for someone to come cut it for me. I can never find them in the sewing department.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:00 PM

I get a lot of fabrics and jellyrolls there on my weekly food shopping trip, need to get things they dont make me gain weight lol so far I am pretty happy with it.I do not buy the 1.50 fabric so. too thin
Old 01-14-2012, 08:02 PM

The Walmart I go to has great service 95% of the time a wonderful gal works there. Their Fabric is the best I can afford but I do watch what I buy, It seems to be better lately.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

when my walmart had fabric BEFORE they removed it and brought it back they had 'better' fabric.. Now all we have is icky thin waste of money fabric..
Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM

fabric seems to be as good as anywhere, selection could be better, but what can you expect from a department store that doesn't specialize in crafts? I just bought some pre-quilted panels for baby blankets, and they seem to be pretty decent quality. I did notice on one that there was a wrinkle in the fabric that they quilted over, so I had to take it out and restitch that little part, and there was a birds nest of thread in one little spot that I had to fix also. Overall I think I'd give them 8/10. Not a very good selection, but they have some fabrics that are the same as or coordinate with Joann's for much less, so that is nice.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 PM

its like any place else some of it is good and some of its not same with prices some is better than others. our walmart isnt so great but i can drive up the road about 35 miles and theyre fabric is reasonable and theyre stock is much better.
the lady at our walmart says she doesnt have freedom to order what she wants the other fabric mgr at the other store
keeps a good inventory of nice quilting fabric and seems to do a really brisk business so who knows i just go by how it feels and how its priced and whether its cute.
carla m
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 PM

I can point out several bolts of fabric on the back wall that are the exact same prints that were there when I started quilting 13 years ago. Wal-Mart also demands their suppliers cut their costs every year. After you take your manufacturing to the cheapest labor country on the planet the only way to cut costs from there is to make the product cheaper.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 PM

I don't use it.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 PM

Sometimes find fabric that's ok. I'm also a knitter, they carry way too much Red Heart yarn ( crappy to knit with ), but i do like their cotton yarn for dishcloths.