Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on "cotton lawn" fabric? It is at Connecting Threads

What are your thoughts on "cotton lawn" fabric? It is at Connecting Threads

There is a gorgeous fabric collection at Connecting Threads right now that uses cotton lawn. I have never heard of this. It is described as light-weight, soft and smooth, shear. It sounds like it may look like cheap fabric if it is shear. Have you used this type of fabric before and does it look and last okay on a quilt (one that will have only light use-not for kids, more just decorative)? Thanks.

I always thought cotton lawn was for night gowns or pj's. I'm not sure about using it in a quilt. I thought they had some beautiful colors and would be interested if anyone has used it in a quilt. I use just about any fabric in decorative quilts or wall hangings so I guess it would work for something like that.
    I pray for peace today and hope I don't have to tomorrow.

When I was accused of living in a fantasy world I almost fell off my unicorn.

Cotton Lawn is a thin fabric, but typically a high density, and thread count, sometimes having a sheen . Think of high thread count sheets .. fine and dense threads. Do use a very small needle in your machine( 65 or 70). High thread count fabrics can have holes left if you need to take out some stitches and you use a large needle.
    I have not given the feel test of the Connecting Threads cotton lawn fabrics. It would have been helpful if they gave the actual thread count so the consumer can have some guage prior to purchase.

This is wonderful fabric if you want to add beautiful detail stitching in your blocks such as pintucks, smocking, etc. Regular cotton is harder to do extra fine detail and lawn is excellent.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 04-08-2012 at 05:45 PM.

I haven't used the Connecting Threads lawns yet, but I use lawns (and voiles) all the time in clothes. I'm saving the scraps to make a light weight summer quilt. I think it would be silky and wonderful as a quilt.

I saw it too, adn fell in love with the line. I have the same concerns about how sheer it is or durable. I figure I will order enough to do a throw quilt to test it out and go from there

Blog Entries
    I saw the collection, too, and I think it is very pretty. I was thinking about getting some but have so much fabric now, I need to actually make something with it!

Blog Entries
    You could read the other threads for answers to your questions. I like lawn for lightweight summer blouses, but other people have more suggestions.

cotton lawn?

Cotton lawn help

I had some lawn fabric several years ago from England and it was beautiful fabric and I would have made a quilt with it, it wasn't cheap feeling or looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Cotton Lawn is a thin fabric, but typically a high density, and thread count, sometimes having a sheen . Think of high thread count sheets .. fine and dense threads. Do use a very small needle in your machine( 65 or 70). High thread count fabrics can have holes left if you need to take out some stitches and you use a large needle.
    I have not given the feel test of the Connecting Threads cotton lawn fabrics. It would have been helpful if they gave the actual thread count so the consumer can have some guage prior to purchase.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Got an email few days ago from a company that had treated photo fabric on cotton lawn. Must be sturdy if they used it for printing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast