Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are your thoughts on the new Baby Lock Destiny >

What are your thoughts on the new Baby Lock Destiny

What are your thoughts on the new Baby Lock Destiny

Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 AM

Default What are your thoughts on the new Baby Lock Destiny

I know...this new Baby Lock Destiny does it all!! Wonderful machine at first look...I was just wondering what anyone else thinks about this new machine. Recently had a quick demo - it would take hours to see all it is capable of doing. It is mainly an embroidery machine - but I have been noticing lately that more and more embroidery pieces are being shown in quilts and quilted projects.

Just curious.. It will be interesting to read your feelings.

The biggest question ---Has my Destiny finally arrived.....ha ha ha !!!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:31 AM

My friend has one and absolutely loves it. If you buy one, make sure they give classes and you go to the classes. It has a lot of features that may get overlooked because it is relatively easy to get started on, both with regular sewing and embroidery, and most people don't take the time to learn the rest of what it can do. It is a very heavy machine, so don't get rid of your smaller machines that you might want to take to class or on a road trip.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

i got one... but i returned it. it's a fantastic sewing machine. but it is lacking in it's digitizing abilities. after the sale, my sales gal said "it does not do complicated designs". and if you scan something, you may spend a lot of time 'fixing' it on the screen... if your eyes and unsteady hands are as bad as mine, it is not easy to do so. I took the lessons, and even a private embroidery lesson. i still managed to ruin [fixable though] 3 quilts trying to quilt them on the machine, which was the main reason i got the Destiny... the largest hoop available. i had received a call from a corporate Babylock trainer who mentioned that she's working on a 14x14 hoop right now. imho, the large hoop does not hold the quilt as tightly as it should. even the stipple fill has little eyelashes. i suppose if i'd not had PE Design for years and am used to digitizing my own designs, this machine might have seemed awesome. be prepared for a long learning curve. i'm happy to go back to my old Brother Pacesetter from the 80's/90's... when comparing the stitch outs of the two machines, the older machine does a much better job. one annoying Destiny thing... it cuts the threads between parts of the design... seems good, right? but it often unthreads when starting the next part of the design. the tech could not fix that issue. there are a lot of very happy destiny owners... i'm just not one of them.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM

I got mine last October. At first, I had buyers remorse. I traded my Brother Quattro for the Destiny. My Quattro was such a workhorse. Never a problem, sewed with any thread, any bobbin, on any fabric. When I got the Destiny, I had trouble with thread and breakage during embroidery. You have to understand, I only broke one needle the entire 8 years I owned my Quattro. While in the training class, it was found I had a faulty wire in the threading mechanism. Once replaced, the machine has been a dream. I require my machines to work, no diva machine in my studio.
I was sorry to read that one poster sent hers back due to the digitizing. These are meant to be elementary entry-level digitizing, not full blown programs. At the price of the machine, you would think so you would get more digitizing features. But could you imagine the price of this machine ar MSRP of $15,000. And adding a digitizing program with a MSRP of $2000.00. I constantly read forums where poster complain about machines costing $1000.00 or more being overpriced. I personally use Floriani Total Contro-U for digitizing (I have PE, Pallett and a few others, long story) so the "digitizing" offered on the machine is not really something I would use beyond the scanning and stipple. I did do an embroidery design, then scanned that and did the auto stipple. Turned out pretty nice, considering how basic the digitizing capabilities are. I would assume that BL will add more "stuff" in future upgrades and updates, but then again, they want you to buy their software. You can also change the thread trimming option. I do not trim between lettering, I prefer to trim afterwards.
I also enjoy a small BL, the Aventura. What a great little machine. I all it my "baby Destiny" as it has a number of the same features.
when we find the machine we love, we stay with them. I am glad you enjoy what you have and create wonderful projects!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

If it fits all your needs and requirements and you can afford it, the go for it and just have fun.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 AM

I have the BL Unity - and I love her, but wish I had gone with the dealer across the bridge-they have great classes for their customers- mine does "individual sessions as you need them" which means the instructor looking at you and asking "what do you need to know? Or what's the problem?" So check out what they mean by "free classes" before you buy-I'm spending a lot of "trying to figure it out and trial & error time". That said I love my Unity (would upgrade to Destiny in a heartbeat if I could afford it but with the other dealer!) and my BL Elizabeth that travels to classes and is my back up when I have an embroidery project on Uni.