Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to

Clean the outside of an iron. I tried alcohol but I am still getting marks on my white fabric. Please help me...I've had to throw away a couple of blocks already.

Blog Entries
    When I got sticky residue from wonder under on mine, I ran my hot iron over salt on a paper bag. Seemed to clean it right off! I think I read that on here before.

I bought a tube of hot iron cleaner at JoAnn's which really works nicely. But it smells and the iron has to be HOT so do use caution!

I use a used dryer sheet. Place the sheet on your ironing board and rub your hot iron over it several times.

Blog Entries
    For a non coated soleplate I use the smooth side of a honing stone. It smooths and cleans.

Thank you for helping me. DH is trying to use tarmenator on it right now, what looks like blue dye is coming off. I'll try the dryer sheet next.

Blog Entries
    They sell iron cleaner at Ace Hardware. I don't remember the name or brand, just ask them for iron cleaner.

Hope it works for you.

Bettia

I mix baking soda and water into a paste and smear it on. Then I use a clean wet rag to clean it off. I have even been known to use q-tips with this mixture to clear all the holes out in my iron. Works like a charm.

Lynette

I'm not sure if this would work, but seems like it would. My daughter uses that Purell alchohol hand cleaning stuff- to clean her hair straightener and stuff. It even took her black hair dye off my couch. Couldn't even tell. I was almost in tears, she was like mom it's ok, don't freak out. Then she got it all off in like 2 minutes- Amazing

Blog Entries
    Sharon Shamber has a video on your tubeabout cleaning your iron with the Magic Eraser.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1
    Mary Ellen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast